Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A913
- - By js55 (*****) Date 01-02-2008 16:40
Does anybody know why A913 Gr 50 is not included in Note a of Table 3.1 AWS D1.1?
Is it perhaps that a more rapid cooling rate due to heat input control is more critical to maintaining yield strength with this Grade as opposed to the higher C grades like the specified 69/65?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 01-02-2008 16:52
heat input into the haz of a quench steel maybe
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-02-2008 22:06
Well, its interesting. All the 913 materials are QST materials. And yet Grade 50 is not included in the heat input exemption of Note a for 913's. My only thought would be that the strength of the higher alloyed 913 QST's is not as effected by the heat of welding.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-02-2008 23:27
could it be a yield point to tensile ratio? or fine authentic grain size? (guessing)
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-03-2008 00:31
The only differences I notice after a quick glance at A913 is that Gr. 50 has a lower carbon equivalent and is not requried to be fine grained.  Perhaps they are worried about excessive heat input increasing the CGHAZ grain size too much since it is not fine grain to start with?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-03-2008 14:39
Greg,
I suspect (I hope at least) the logic is based in emperical experience, if you'll excuse the moderate redundancy of that (as opposed to research experience).
It sorta reminds me of a comment I made once about a certain material list (it had to do with some special exemptions or such-been too long to remember specifically since I didn't really deal with those materials) in ASME III when I was working nukes. I commented that the list seemed rather random. I received a somewhat snooty response from a committee member (thankfully buffered by a friend who thought it humorous) that the list was anything but random.
But for the life of me I couldn't see the common logic in the list of materials.
The logic was apparently too deeply buried in service history. And one needed to be a Section III archivist to dig it out. But those guys are either dead or sippin Margaritas on a beach in Boca Raton.
Parent - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-07-2008 09:24
js55,

I think it is just a mistake, if u look at note b of table 3.2 u will find out the answer.
5.7 of AWS D1.1 is not applicable to all A913 QST steel which include also grade 50

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A913