Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 2 1/4 Cr-1 Mo - Vanadium steel
- - By MOHAMMED KAMEL (*) Date 01-07-2008 10:34
Is there any specific requirement regarding the WPS and Welder performance for welding 2 1/4 Cr-1 Mo - Vanadium steel other than that required for 2 1/4 Cr-1 Mo. i.e is  a WPS qualified for 2 1/4 Cr-1 Mo can be used for welding 2 1/4 Cr-1 Mo - Vanadium steel.And similarly a welder qualified for welding 2 1/4 Cr-1 Mo  can weld 2 1/4 Cr-1 Mo - Vanadium steel without requalification .
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 01-07-2008 14:08
I will assume ASME Sect IX  here.  (since you didn't offer a code or any specific material specs.)

Regarding the WPS qualification:  If depends on the materials used in qualification, but you will likely have to requalify a procedure.
A change from one P5 to another P-5 is an essential variable and will require requalification, (see 403.13).  If your initial qualification is for plain P-5 to P-5 and the chrome-moly-vanadium material is likely a P-5c, you will have to re-qualify a procedure.

Regarding Welder performance qualification:  Welder performance qualification with any P-1 through P-11 will work for any of the P-5's.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-07-2008 14:51
I've just recently taken a position where this is the material of choice for very high pressure, ultra high H2S and very, very low design temperature conditions and our systems are subject to ASME B31.3, K328, High Pressure conditions. 

There are very specific essential variables in ASME B31.3; K328, if this is the Code you're dealing with, I suggest starting there. 

Most of us who deal with ASME Codes in a regular basis know that the constructing codes may add, delete or modify those requirements of ASME IX. 

In addition, many Project Specifications place extra requirements, above and beyond code for working with these materials (and several others), in my particular case, our Project Specifications also invoke several NACE standards in addition to ASME VIII.  Sorry, a very generalized answer but unless you can give us some more specific details thats about as good as I can offer!
Parent - By MOHAMMED KAMEL (*) Date 01-08-2008 09:52
Thanks for both reply. I am mainly concerned about welding on pressure vessels , so we are talking about ASME code. I believe we can conclude , as said by Bill ,that requalification for the procedure is required . However for welders performance , requalification is not required.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 2 1/4 Cr-1 Mo - Vanadium steel