Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld spacing for Thermit welds?
- - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-07-2008 14:27
Can anyone tell me where to find requirements for the distance between Thermite welds, if there are any. Construction is API. We have standards in place but questions have come up about the origin. Thanks
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-07-2008 20:04
hmmm....I was hoping this was going to be easy. Not looking forward to browsing through the 7,342 IHS subscriptions.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-07-2008 20:28
Which API? and for what?

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-07-2008 20:59
I'm just looking for some general info if there isn't anything code specific. But how the question was relayed to me was pertaining to cathodic wiring for pipeline integrity(test wires, bond wires). There is a new battery powered unit being approved for our field employees. Standards would need to be revised. Two of the older standards have diff. criteria. One has a 3" min. distance and the other a 4" min. My approach is to identify some valid criteria. And if there isn't any that specifically relates - then remove any unnecessary restrictions. The problem is finding any info to start with. I don't see any specifications from the manufacturers we use for this equipment. I wouldn't think there would be a material integrity issue with overlapping Haz's. Not sure it's even possible given the make-up of the equipment.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld spacing for Thermit welds?