Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding Certification Questions
- - By holmes816 Date 01-08-2008 19:19
I have a couple of questions. My brother recieved his MIG welding certificate from tdcj (texas prison system). He wants to be an inspector. He is currently working a Welder/Warehouse supervisor for a small company.  He has been there for almost three years. The company is great to work for but the pay sucks, I believe because he doesn't have the certification to request more money. My questions are: Does he need a welding certification to be a welding inspector? Also what would you suggest his best route to getting more money in the welding field? I believe he should at least get a welding certification. Since he loves the company and the people he works with, I believe his goal is to eventually take his supervisor job. He supervisor has over 25 years of experience and the welding certification of course.  Please advise..thanks in advance for any information.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-08-2008 20:17
Welcome to the Forum Holmes

Lots of choices for your brother.

#1   Weld inspectors generally are not required to be welders... If you are referring to an AWS CWI the answer is a definate no, welder cert is not required to become a CWI.

Paying your own money to get certified in order to leverage your boss to pay more is a bad idea.  That boss is a tight wad and a piece of paper is not going to make a difference.  Good employers take it upon themselves to have their crews certified if it is necessary, and they pay them a solid wage to keep them. Thats just how it works.

A good multi process welder can make as much as an inspector, sometimes more.  Most high paid inspectors have decades of experience and education/training behind them before they start making big money.

Your brother would be wise to get in touch with his local AWS section. They will be able to give him advice and support in his quest for a weld inspector position.
Parent - - By holmes816 Date 01-08-2008 22:06
Hi Lawrence thanks for your quick response. With my brother only having a certificate not a certification, is it best for him to try to get a certification or go the school route and get a Associate degree or certificate from a college? Btw according to his resume he does MIG welding  Stick welding Structural welding. He just looking to make more money and I trying to point him in the right direction. The only welding experience he has is from his current job of three years.  Thanks in advance.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-08-2008 22:17
the iron workers union has no problem hiring people with records. in most cases (most welding trades) i think it is a prerequisite.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-08-2008 23:01
Education is always good when you can get it.  Some folks work and go to school at the same time.  Education is even more important for those wishing to be effective managers or inspectors, although there are plenty who go the way of work experience and training to prepare themselves to move up (myself included).

Again, most employers who require certification will have the testing done themselves at company expense.  In some cases the pre employment welding test is also a certification test, this way the new hire can go right to work as a certified welder.
Parent - By David Lee (*) Date 01-09-2008 14:23
You may even talk with him about a vo-tech course, If there is one in his area.
He should be able to learn more welding processes and qualify there, It will be a little cheaper I think than enrolling into a college type course.
Parent - - By holmes816 Date 01-09-2008 15:37
Thanks for the info. I talk with my brother on yesterday and sure enough just what you was saying is true. His company is bringing in someone to test him and his staff to be certified. I don't know what type of certification or who is doing it but they will be tested today. I will find out more info this afternoon. The company he works for is trying to expand and they are doing alot of different things. Depending on the certification do you think it's best for him to pursue an associate degree or a certificate in tig and piping, just to have it. He can afford to go to school and work. Our parents still help us out especially when it involves furthering our education. 
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 01-09-2008 17:04
Knowledge is power, particularly is your trying to make your past your past-good luck to both of you.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding Certification Questions