Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Educator qualifications...
- - By i-inspect Date 01-08-2008 22:35
Good day,

I am a certified welder, am a CWI, and hold level II UT MT with PT and have an AA degree in business. I was talking to the workforce training director at the local college a couple years back about implementing a welding training program as I had talked to several people who would be interested in a welding program if ever offered. The college then advertised a position as a welding educator with required qualification of a generalized master's degree (the CWE part was never mentioned). My question is this...does a master's degree qualify an educator to teach welding? Also, what is the minimum general requirement to teach welding aside from a CWE in a community college? Do state universities require teaching credentials?

Thank you,

TJ
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-08-2008 23:16
Very dependent on region/state on the college level.

If you reed most state requirements they might ask for a Bachlors or Masters but also offer a thing called "equivilancy,"  this is a recognition of work experience equal to a college degree.  This route often takes extensive doccumentation of experience and professional training in your career.

Teaching at the high school level is actually far more regimented with No Child Left Behind criteria demanding a degree even for the trades for new teachers.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 01-18-2008 15:58
My friend got hired to teach welding at the local city high school (Oak Ridge Tn).He is a CWI,and a Navy X-ray pipewelder,but has no college.When He got hired,they listed his experience as bachelor degree plus 6,meaning 6 years of experience,although he did have to get his teaching certificate,he still has no college.The long and short of it is, they considered him qualified because of his life experience.and he has been there 10 years.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Educator qualifications...