Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 - New WPS - How close is it to ASME
- - By SteveinAZ Date 01-09-2008 16:58
I am helping out another shop and I am getting ready to write them a new AWS GMAW-S procedure for P1 materials (but do not even have the D1.1 Code YET-but I will before I begin!), and was wondering how close is the development of the WPS to doing an ASME one?  When we have written ASME WPS', we try to make them pretty wide open so they cover as much variation in wire size, volts, amps, technique, etc. as possible within the Code.  For example, our ASME GMAW-S P1 procedure uses ER70S-6 wire, and we wrote to go to 1.0" (don't slam me as we know this is not a good process for 1" plate!) and qualified with 1/2" coupons - <1/2" doesn't get you 2X t.  This new WPS will be for all position GMAW-S with ER70S-6 wire for gauge material.

How similar is developing an AWS WPS in concept?  I am presuming that AWS may actually have tighter requirements, but until I read through the Code, I will not know.  I am just trying to get a jump on the thought process.

Anyone have a GMAW-S WPS they are willing share so I can see what you have done?  Please remember SWPS are AWS copyrighted, and your WPS is only good for your shop (I presume...ASME is like that).

Thanks in advance, Steve
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-09-2008 17:14
There's a book available through the AWS called "The professionals advisor on procedure qualification variables/cross reference". It's a pretty slick little reference tool. It was compiled by Ken Coryell and if you know his reputation, it's reflected in this manual. But for a side note here, I believe both the ASME and AWS accept procedures qualified to B2.1 which seems to mimic ASME in many areas. If you qualify your procedure to B2.1 I believe you could use it to both standards. But to answer your question directly, there are many differences. Are you looking for a full detail of differences.
Parent - By SteveinAZ Date 01-09-2008 21:22
Jarsanb, Thanks for the Reader's Digest version...no I do not want the whole thing, but I think you have answered it well enough for now...I guess I'll just wait for the Code book to come in and do a little light reading.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 - New WPS - How close is it to ASME