Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spot weld chisel test
- - By kam (**) Date 04-26-2001 19:16
Greetings

I am having trouble performing the spot weld chisel test as outlined in AWS D8.7-88. The material being spot welded is a low carbon steal approx. 2.0mm thick. Button diameter is around 6.5mm (if I get a button). I'm looking for tips or suggestions on how to perform this test.

My problem is that I rarely get a nice pretty button (as shown in AWS Spec) to measure. Thinner joint materials are easy to test and usually give you a button to measure but when you get into the thicker materials forget it. AWS procedure looks good on paper but try doing it in the real world. I have tryed countless types of chisels and always get the same thing....weld holds alright but cant measure button because material bends up around the weld and does not peel or tear.

My part has several welds on it (23 to be exact). Customer requires one part to be tested per shift. With present method I spend about 2 hours chiseling on the damn thing and still dont get a nice button to measure.

I suggested alternitive methods (ultrasonic or coupon test) but our engineer will not go for it.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone offer suggestions. Is there some kind of tool like a "JAWS of Life" unit out there that would make my life easier. What are you guys doing??

Thanks

kam
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 05-18-2001 18:37
Thanks for all your timely responces!
Parent - - By - Date 05-19-2001 07:35
Don't take it personally. I have had the same happen to me. I guess there are certain questions that are not so easy to answer.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-23-2001 16:23
Exactly right! Nothing personal! I for one am not familiar with D8 or spot welding in general. My comments (including this one) will have no value to you.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 05-23-2001 19:31
Understood. I didn't expect much but was hoping someone has had similar troubles and thought of something I did not. What looks good on paper is not always practical in practice. Engineers.......geeze! Often I wish I had went to law school instead of engineering school or maybe just become a Walmart greeter or something. Automobiles are designed for ease of production with no consideration for the poor $@#% who has to work them. Oh well.

Thanks for your responces anyway

kam
Parent - By noswal Date 02-12-2002 16:40
Depending on what the "Destructive Tests" specs call for to determine nugget diameter, one could resort to the good ol' peel test which is prying or pulling welded assemblies apart. Using a plasma cutter or band saw, cut your work piece into "coupons" and tear away using "large nippers". A weld button is always slightly larger than the weld nugget.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spot weld chisel test