Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Non-tubular skewed T Joints
- - By Superflux (****) Date 01-10-2008 07:21
We have a plate intersecting the I-beam web at an acute 18.01 degrees. How do I measure the throat of this TC-4Ua-GF after being welded without a Gal 4 gage? The Cambridge gage and Hi-Lo don't seem to have a do-hickey for this arrangement. Just recently got into D1.1 shop work. Kicking myself in the backside because I REALLY was going to buy myself one for x-mas until that deal on the Smith & Wesson came along................
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-10-2008 14:21
Do you have a procedure qualified that allows you to weld this? Although you're using a prequalified joint designation, joints with angles less than 30 degrees are not prequalified.
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 01-10-2008 20:59
They also require welder requalification, if I'm not mistaken.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-10-2008 22:37
swnorris and waynekoe,
Thank you  for the prompt response. Looking into the PQ's and WQ's right now...I brought up the less than 30 degree issue last night. and the question of throat depth  and weld face width is still being kicked around. Fig's 5.4d & 3.11c gives some insight. Of course, they hit me with this at the end of shift. Now today, it seems to me the question is whether this is a fillet weld or a groove weld. I think that the detailers dropped the ball calling this a TC-xx-xxx since it is not located at the corner. Once again a question leads to more questions. Appreciate the help...
Parent - - By Kyle Thoren Date 01-11-2008 16:58
Ran into this same issue last year.  Found our best answer was to change the detail to a bent plate, allowing a fillet weld from bent plate flat against web on 3 sides, avoiding issues with the weld in acute side.  Have trained all our welders and detailers to avoid acute joints less than 30 degrees, this is working well for us.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-11-2008 17:59 Edited 01-11-2008 18:02
I do the same thing and in over 30 years have never had an EOR reject it.  Whenever we can, we use short slots in both legs and shop bolt the bent plate to the beam web.  That's much easier than fitting and welding, and it gives the erector additional adjustment that he wouldn't have if it was welded.  You've got to watch those detailers though.  I had one who detailed the bent plate with a closed bend instead of an open bend.  I had to send the drawings back to be changed.  You also have to make sure the holes aren't detailed with a tight gage in the OSL from the web face, or the nut or bolt will foul the beam web. 
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-12-2008 03:34
Thanks again for all the help, options and insight. Supposedly we have the PQR and WPS, yet no one has been able to produce a copy for me yet (whadda ya expect for 2nd shift on a Friday). All of you have saved the day and allowed me to present the illusion  of competence. I am in your debt. And here I thought I was going to just waltz around with my clipboard and hmm & haw at some welds. Gotta go and intimidate some welders now.......
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Non-tubular skewed T Joints