Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Prequalified status from old to new.
- - By Kix (****) Date 01-10-2008 16:40
Was the vertical down progression prequalified back in the D1.1(1992) edition?  Well, if it was it sure isn't now in the 2006 edition so that leaves one more question.  I have an old preqaulified WPS that list A514 grB as a material and vertical down for welding progression.  Does this mean it's no longer any good?  I'm thinking it's no good anymore.

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 01-11-2008 14:15
I do not have a 1992 copy, but my 1990 copy of D1.1 states that the progression for all passes of vertical welding shall be upwards except that undercut may be repaired vertically downwards....    In tubular structures the progression of vertical welding may be upwards or downwards, but only in the direction(s) qualified.  This is listed for the SMAW, FCAW, & GMAW processes.

If the procedure you have was written as prequalified, I do not think it should have ever been considered prequalified.

Im thinking you are correct, ...that it is no good anymore.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-11-2008 20:19
To the best of my knowledge, downward progression has only been "prequalified" for the repair of undercut. My D1.1 collection starts in the 70's.

So, I agree, that doenward vertical progression is not prequalified.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Prequalified status from old to new.