Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / SUGARING?
- - By Larry D Morey Date 01-10-2008 16:59
[deleted]
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 01-10-2008 17:53
Oxidation.  It is the chemical reaction of oxyegen in the atmosphere, with the stainless base metal, due to intense heat.  It is caused on stainless if you do not back purge with Argon.

Charles
Parent - By Larry D Morey Date 02-21-2008 00:53
Thank you all for your input and you have confirmed what I had already written in my report unfortunately the purge won't work it is done on perfprated pipe and is on the inside some 4-5 feet down and a space of 1'' between the next weldment and was only discovered with a boroscoperecently (after 15 yrs)  L.D.Morey
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-10-2008 21:58
Hello Larry D Morey, to expand just a little bit further on the information you have already received. If you are doing any sort of full-penetration welds on stainless steel alloys or welds that have a speed progression that allows the stainless to remain above it's reactive temperature after the shielding gas has dissipated as a result of weld progression. You can experience what you have referred to as "sugaring"(oxidation is really a better description) unless you provide some sort of protection for the backside of the weld joint. In many cases this may mean using a backing or purge gas, argon would be most common as opposed to using an argon/helium combination or a straight helium backing, the argon is likely the most economical, the main idea is to provide an inert shield to prevent the oxidation from taking place. In other instances there are fluxing agents that can be applied to the backside of these weld joints that will basically provide the same sort of protection, in this case however, these fluxing agents will leave residues so you need to consider whether this would be allowable for the particular application. In yet other instances you can use backing fixtures that "may" be able to contain and provide enough shielding gas that has been introduced from the front side of the weld to also serve to protect the backside, this can be a hit or miss proposition depending on a number of variables( joint type, weld progression, shape of fixturing bars, flow rates, and possibly a few other items). There are really a number of variables that can influence oxidation of stainless steel due to welding. Temperature has everything to do with this and prevention of exposure to atmosphere while the stainless is above it's oxidation temperature also has a direct effect.
     I would also make an additional comment here, this could be argueable amongst others, but here goes, surface oxidation can be dealt with by use of means such as brushing, grinding, polishing, chemical passivation, and probably a few others that I can't think of or don't know about. I would generally say that the "sugaring" that you have made mention of typically would be considered as a condition that affects the stainless to a depth that it can't readily be dealt with by using the methods I have mentioned above. In all instances you should consider carefully the use and function of the material/weldment or whatever it is a part of and use the appropriate procedures to ensure your process meets the requirements of these items. My $.02 Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 01-11-2008 12:34
Good information and very thorough.  I'll take a stab at two points:

First - when you utilize flux instead of backing gas, the flux is generally (almost always) only effective for the root pass.  If you are not very careful (ie - fast, yet effective travel speed) on the hot pass, you may still get some oxidation.  We have been successful at this practice, but it requires excellent welding ability.

Second - I agree that the oxidation is basically a surface condition; however, I believe it is brought about by the depletion of chromium (from the base metal) near the surface.  This results in greatly reducing the corrosion resistance at that location.  The "passive" layer that should form (chromium oxide) will not form and the likelihood of accelerated corrosion is increased.  This is particularly of concern since the reason for using stainless in the first place is for it's corrosion resistance.

I'm not a metallurgist, these are ideas I've picked up along the way, so if anyone disagrees, please chime in.

Charles
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-11-2008 13:47
Hello Charles, nice additional points. I would also agree with your additional observations. Like a lot of things many times, I don't think of them until someone else points them out and if I didn't know, I would have now. Have a great day and best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / SUGARING?