Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Part B Formula Question
- - By graveyhog (*) Date 01-11-2008 01:23
Can anybody out there share the chain of order of the Formulas example:a=WxT,Tensile Strength,Yield Strength,Area of Circle.If anyone could maybe suggest a web site on the 101 of these formulas.I can get some of the problems but,stumped on a few problems.Please give some good advice no joking please.What order are these giving from start to finish.These are the ones for the CWI test part B.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-11-2008 12:42
There are no "formulas" for tensile and yield strength. However, both have units in which they're measured.
In both cases, the units are the same as for pressure, i.e., force divided by area.
In American units it's pounds per square inch; in SI units is Megapascal.

The formula of the circle area is 3,1416 times the square of radius.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By David Lee (*) Date 01-11-2008 13:31
3.1416 x the O.D will give you the circumferance, divide it by 360 and that will give you a measurement for each degree.
Example.... a 10' o.d unit will be 31'-5" around divided by 360 it will be 1- 1/16" per degree.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-11-2008 14:46
Area of a circle
diameter X diameter X.7854
That also happens to be the blocks in the left corner of a calculator! 7-8-5-4 Once I flashed on that I have never got it out of my head.
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 01-11-2008 19:11 Edited 01-12-2008 01:51
There are lots of good books out there with all that information in it. Welding supply stores, hardware stores, HomeDepot, all carry pocket reference books with that and a ton of other information. I don't remember if they asked about them in the test, but if they did, it was only the most rudamentary ones. Conversion from standard to metric and  temperature conversions  are the ones that stick out. The main thing to do is to pay attention to the wording of the questions! And remember, their looking for the most correct answer, not just a right answer. The index and commentary will be your best ally.

You can download the 2006 version of the part B specification from AWS-it has all the information you'll need. Other than that, I don't know what your looking for.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-12-2008 00:31
I have no idea what a"chan of order" is bu...

To determine yiels strength or tensile strength in a reduced section tensile specimen one would have to know the cross sectional area of the specimen being pulled. a=W*T where a= Area W= Width of Specimen and T=Thickness of the specimen.

The applied load at which the specimen yields and then breaks is shown on the machine that performs the tensile test. The applied load is divided by the Area(A) of the specimen to give the Tensile or Yield Strength of the material. For round specimens the area of the circle must be calculated and then used to calculate the tensile strength.

I am not sure if that is what you want. There are quite a few articles describing reduced section tensile testing.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Part B Formula Question