Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / trying to pass 20g stainless tig test
- - By JoeK Date 01-11-2008 03:03
I'm trying to pass a 20 g stainless steel tig test.  Anyone got any advice that could help.  Haven't been able to get any scrap to practice, any suggestions for what I should set my Amps at? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-11-2008 06:54
20 gauge (0.035 inch) stainless can be welded easily... with some practice and good parameters

1/16 or 0.040  Thorium, Cerium, Lanthanum electrodes

1 amp per thou.... so set your amps under 50 if you have a foot pedal... If no foot pedal set a about 40.

Tungsten stickout limited to the width of your cup opening.

Clean your material..

If you dip your tungsten even once... Stop and clean it.. If you dip it again.. stop again and clean.

Torch angle... 5-10 degree push angle or as close to perpendicular as you can stand.

Gas flow... 15-25 CFH depending on cup size. Gas lens may go slightly higher.
Parent - By JoeK Date 01-12-2008 21:49
Hey, thanks so much for your quick response.  The test was actually fusion welding, on Lap joint and one T joint. I find out in a couple of days whether or not I got the job.  either way thanks again for your response, and helpful information.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / trying to pass 20g stainless tig test