Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Rectangular tubing mat'l spec
- - By Big Bunny Date 01-11-2008 15:14
We have changed vendors recently for some frame weldments that are made from rectangular steel tubing. The vendor is complaining that the tubing material is not specified correctly, and I have inherited the responsibility for them since the original engineers are long gone.
After reviewing our drawings, I believe the vendor is right to complain. We have simply called out "A 513 RECTANGULAR TUBING 1.00 X 2.00" (the dimensions of course vary).

I don't have access to the ASTM A 513 spec, but after some research it looks to me like this is a tube manufacturing spec, not a raw material spec. I contacted the previous vendor, and they were apparently never picky about what grade of steel they had used in the past, most likely AISI/SAE 1010 hot rolled but sometimes 1018 cold rolled, and so on.

If I understand the requirements for correctly specifying this kind of material, I believe we should be calling out the ASTM spec and forming type, in addition to the steel grade, something like "AISI/SAE 1010 A 513 TYPE 1 RECTANGULAR TUBING, 1.00 X 1.50".  Would there be any specific reason to use this spec rather than to just specify an ASTM A 500 Grade X structural tubing?

Can anyone confirm whether this would be a complete and correct method for specifying this material?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-11-2008 17:46
We've always used the ASTM specification, but that's what's required in 99.9999% of our contracts.
Parent - - By David Lee (*) Date 01-11-2008 18:28
post your e-mail I will send you a copy of A513 spec
Parent - By Big Bunny Date 01-15-2008 14:57
Thanks, I have sent you a personal message with the e-mail.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Rectangular tubing mat'l spec