Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ISO certification
- - By EVWELDER (**) Date 01-11-2008 22:36
Can anyone give me a rundown of what this is the company I work for is trying to get a Quality Assurance program started and I am part of helping this happen I have heard very little about ISO certification is this something helpful to get started?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-12-2008 09:49
A simple web search will bring you more than you ever wanted to know.

Generally... 9001 style certification does not require major reforms for most participants..  It is simply a program that provides a framework which audits your own paper trail of proving you actually do what you say you do on your own internal company doccuments or any other codes or procedures you are required to follow.

Efficient companites struggle less with this than companies that cut corners.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 01-13-2008 01:33
It's for traceability mostly.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 01-13-2008 11:17
in my naivetee i assumed that getting a safety committee elected using due process would improve safety. hah, all it did was give the company the "demonstrable proof" of a safety program which iso requires and NOTHING  has actually changed as far as  safety, iso is like any model ideology; it works good on paper but when you try to actualize it management has a way of corrupting it. sorry for the bitter response but it is what i have experienced. in our iso meeting we were told
"it affords us the opportunity to ask questions, but don't assume they will be answered"
darren
Parent - By Sean (**) Date 01-14-2008 16:22 Edited 01-14-2008 16:25
ISO 9000 is a family of standards (9000, 9001 and 9004).  When people refer to ISO 9000 they are refering to the ISO 9001 and/or 9004 portions of the family.  ISO registration means that you should be able to produce a consistent product or service.  The amount of quality is determined or set by your organization.

If I was to summarize ISO 9000 it would be that your processes are Planned, Done according to that Plan, Check (or verified) that the plan was effective and/or efficient and then Acted upon the results of the plan and your checking.  The level of quality is set by management... which can be good or bad.  Technically you could make lead life jackets and as long as the organization was meeting their objectives you could become registered to ISO 9001. 

There is a book called, "ISO 9000:  The Essentials", published by the Canadian Standards Association (www.csa.ca) that is very useful to understanding the standards and how to implement a QMS. 

Before you begin any QMS make sure that you flow chart your processes and identify what controls you have for them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ISO certification