Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / hello everyone - where do i start? - help
- - By raggedraider Date 01-12-2008 15:03
hi
i recently stumbled into an oppurtunity , my current job at a place that does construction inspection ( asphalt , concrete , welding ) is in need of a welding inspector.
im thinking i might be able to fill the job ( at one point ) , i have a few years of working in places where welding is used ( railling manufacture / warehouse shelving manufacture ) i understand what an alloy is , i understand what people are trying to do when they weld , i know what "dye penetration" and or xray is trying to prove -( but havent used or know the equiptment ) -im not quite a "book smart" -person- but i can certainly read directions and follow them , its been a wile since i left high school . - i have allways found the science of welding interesting to the point i might consider it entertaining - ( i though it brilliant using a thermite reaction to fuse track rails , and understand the thermite reaction) --i have worked in chemical plnts, but im not a chemist, im not the brightest bulb in the box - but allmost stunning when it comes to mecanics.
i drill holes in the streets now , my first baby is due in june .

i dont know if i need more " hands on " a "mentor"  or "school" --or just shut up and keep drilling holes ( and get the money )
my fear is being able to handle school / work - i might be able to get where i work to pay for everything , but i need to make sure i can "produce"- i need to be certain.
i think i know enough to keep out of trouble. - im loyal but reasonable.
im tough as nails , an can handle any weather / work enviroment you got
im thinking now is the time to start putting the "acumulation of my lifes skills" to work  -money=good.

id love to work side by side with a welding inspector , but all i have is weekends -ill buy lunch.
before i write a check with my mouth , that my a** cant cash.

what to do?

any opinions ?
and thanx for reading this.
brian
raggedraider@aol.com
you can send this to anyone you like- anywhere, anytime - with my email attached
thanx again
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-12-2008 15:46
If you stay working for a testing lab, you can probably get access to the AWS QC-1 booklet in the company library.  It can get you started.  Many testing labs have libraries that contain the other books you would need to study from 

Basically, from the welding experience you describe in this post, you do not have ANY of the required experience.  Welding experience must be in welding to a "CODE".  I do not think the work you described would qualify.

However, if you do NDT, on welds, that time would count toward the required experience.  Perhaps the way to break into welding inspection would be to get your Level 2 through your company. 

The second step would be to begin to study.  You seem to be telling us that you can read and study when the subject interests you.  Unles you can invent the smart pill, a lot of study and knowledge absorbtion will be necessary.  Striving to be "allmost stunning when it comes to mecanics" will be required.

Dont get dishartened by the time involved.  The NDT route is a constant learning process and it can be very interesting.  Your attitude will make those five years go by quickly.

Good luck!

Good luck
Parent - By raggedraider Date 01-12-2008 18:36
thanx for the fast post and a direction to point me in.
thanx.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-13-2008 10:35
I didn't see in your post where a CWI was required for the position of interest. My observation is that many inspectors got their start/job the "good ol' boy" method thru friends, relatives and in house advancement, or so it seems. So if your tenure with the company will allow such an oportunity, more power to you. Another option is getting ICC endorsements (masonry, concrete, structural etc.) that will make you certified for future openings if you can't make this one happen. The beauty of QC1 is the experience requirement!!!
Go for it, make it happen and good luck to you. 
Parent - By raggedraider Date 01-13-2008 16:08
yea
the company i work for aparrently likes me - ( i just got slapped a 2 buk raise ) , -and if you could believe it  , i kinda feel like i should at least try to give them more
i had heard they were looking for a welding inspector , and figured - heck , ive welded ( allbeit "back yard" experience ) - im certain i could match the right "stick" to the right "alloy" - and figured what would be expected of me , would amount to not much more than the equivalent of "field concrete testing"

my hat is now off to those who are certified.
not that im not capable of doing it , its that "time/money" continuim - the time it takes  v.s when ill be able to make the money --or bang for the buck
but it certainly wouldnt hurt to keep my nose in it for a wile

and superflux
you are right. allthough my company is looking for a cwi -doesnt mean i cant do what i do know , and stay out of things where a cwi is mandated / required -( im not clear if my company even understands excatly what a cwi is , and they might not be paying the right #s , and thats why there still looking) , my bosses immed concern is if one can do "dye penetration " testing

thanx
brian
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / hello everyone - where do i start? - help