Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / applied stress
- - By paul 3 (*) Date 01-14-2008 13:09 Edited 01-14-2008 13:13
say that you hade a test plate for limeted thickness, all position, welder qualifiation witch  is 6in. by 7in. the directoin of rolling is along the 6in. axis   and the weld is transvers to the rolled direction of the test plate. can someome explain when stress is applied to the  plate how can you tell which direction the stress is being applied and weather or not the weld is parallel to the primary stress or it is transverse to the primary stress?
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 01-14-2008 14:49
I am not sure what you are asking.  The direction of primary stress of a weld is to be determined by the way a finished weldment is structurally loaded in its normal use.

The D1.1 recommended orientation of the "direction of rolling" for making your weld test plates is to reduce doing the weld qualification bend tests bending against any rolling induced stresses still in the plate from manufacturing at the mill.  It is preferred to make the bend tests parallel with any induced rolling stresses, not perpendicular.
Parent - - By paul 3 (*) Date 01-14-2008 20:28
o.k. let me rephrase my question// this is out of Part B of the examination book of specifications for the d1.1 exam  appendix Vll..(5)  when the weld is transverse to the primary stress in the part that is undercut, the undercut shall be no more than 0.01 in. deep..   (6) when the weld is parallel to the primary stress in the part that is undercut, the undercut shall be no more than 1/32 in. deep..   my question is how to you tell the differance between the weld being transvese to the stress or weather the weld is parallel to the stress?
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-15-2008 01:16
during the CWI exam, the question will tell u straightly... what is the direction of principle stress (transverse or parallel to the weld).
during the actual situation, u can either by visual if u are experience or knowledgable or from the design analysis.

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - By paul 3 (*) Date 01-15-2008 13:58
thanks for the info.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / applied stress