Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / malleable to steel
- - By STEELERS (*) Date 01-15-2008 19:29
Need some help here. In our structural shop we are welding ASTM A47 malleable iron handrail brackets(wall brackets) to type A53 pipe. We have done this with no problems in the past just using E-71 flux core  and no trouble breaking , and that is not really the problem.But what i need to know is who do I go under or how do I go about getting a PQR for this, as by rights we need a procedure for this. Any help will be gratly appreciated   thanks  Jody
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-22-2008 20:18
So far nobody has posted an answer to your question, so I'll give you my personal opinion.
You say you've never had any problem welding those materials using a method (or procedure) you developed, but now you need to qualify the method due to contractual reasons.
That means the method you've developed is fine. So, if I were you, I'd simply describe the method, i.e., put it in writing with all the details, and have it approved by the client.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

P.S. A question on grammar. I've always heard Americans saying "If I was you". However, when I studied English many years ago, I was tought that the correct way is "If I were you", Is that right?   
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-22-2008 20:59
Explained well!!

I would also add though to find out what code the WPS/PQR need to fall under.  The code will give you the variables that you need to record.  And most code give you example procedure forms.

And to you grammar question - when you hear that, the person saying it is using poor grammar.  In that instance, it's "were".  Poor grammar is rampant in the soutern states with all the "rednecks" (I'm one of them and from here, so not harpin on anybody).  The key is to speak and write how YOU were taught, and I'm sure you'll be fine.  You have to learn to kinda translate...intead of "I have done this", you may hear "I dun did that", or "I don't have any" you'll hear "I ain't got none"...you get the idea.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-23-2008 19:26
Thanks for the lesson, New Tito.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-22-2008 21:29
Hey steelers, this isn't the certification/qualification forum.  You had this posted in shop talk before this and no one helped so maybe post it up in the Certification/qualification forum and we will get ya going.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / malleable to steel