Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6: Carbon Steel To Stainless
- - By rickc (**) Date 01-17-2008 00:31
I'd like to write a 316 to D1.1 Group I or II procedure and I'm looking for something like Table 4.8 from D1.1 in D1.6 and not having any luck.

Informative Annex F and Annex I in D1.6 makes suggestions for welding these materials but, I'm not finding anything indicating what materials I can qualify with my PQR. The best I can find is on Table 4.1 #1.1 on page 80 of D1.6:2007 which states that "a change in the base metal group shown in Table 3.2 or in base metal type if unlisted" would require requalification. How do people usually attack this problem?
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 01-17-2008 17:45
When I need to do these procedures I use B2.1 for my PQRs.  Much easier.  Section 2 has all the info you need.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2008 03:00
I cast my vote for AWS B2.1 as well.

Al
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 01-18-2008 17:37
I'll check that out. Thank you.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 01-21-2008 12:12
What's the advantage to B1.2 that makes it easier??
Chris
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-21-2008 14:50
Since there is no structural welding code that specifically focuses on Carbon to Stainless procedures, B2.1 is a good choice because it is the procedure qualification model from which all blessings flow.  Most AWS PQR templates are based on the work provided by the B2.1 committee.

One other possibility would be to check and see if AWS publishes an SWPS for the materials you are joining. SWPS have some limitations but are a good choice for the few who can stay within the paramaters provided.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-23-2008 00:36
Rick,
You will notice that in table 4.1, that the base metal essential variable says that for unlisted material, a change in "base metal type" requries requalification.  So the question is, what is the definition of type?  I get that from paragraph 1.2.  It lists 6 "types" of stainless steel base metal.  1. Austenitic, 2. Ferritic, 3. Martensitic, 4. Precipitation hardening, 5. Duplex, and 6. Dissimilar.  Under dissimilar, it says "any combinations of the types above or with weldable carbon steels or low alloy steels."

So when I qualify a procedure using for instance, austenitic stainless steel to weldable carbon steel, it seems to me that it is ok to use it to weld to any other weldable carbon steel since that is listed as a "type" in paragraph 1.2.  Similarly, since none of the precipitation hardening (PH) stainless steels are listed, a procedure welding carbon steel to PH sst to carbon steel is good for any weldable carbon steel to other PH stainless steels.  It does obviously require use of engineering judgement to make sure you don't use procedures where they are not adequate even if they are qualified.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-23-2008 14:45
Engineering judgement?
What a rather odd and minimalistically suspect idea.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6: Carbon Steel To Stainless