Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding question
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 01-17-2008 02:12
I have a question about a welding Symbol, on the arrow side of the reference line there is a V groove weld symbol with nothing to the right of it, but the V groove is the full length of the part so you know you're going to weld the full length. On the other side of the reference line there is a fillet weld symbol with nothing to the right to me this tells me to weld the full length but the question is the fillet weld is not the full length of the weld it's about three or four inches and the rest is a single-square-groove weld would you weld the fillet part are the entire length of the joint.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2008 02:36
I would "read" it as; a fillet weld for the length that is applicable to fillet welding. I assume that there is a change in joint type or geometry or even a change in direction. That being the case, the welding symbol only applies to the joint the arrow points to and applies to that portion of the joint where there is no change in geometry, direction, or joint type when the length is not specified. For example; if you have a hollow box section, i.e., HSS, that is welded to a plate, such would be the case of a base plate welded to a HSS column shaft, and the fillet weld symbol, points to one side with no length specified, only that one side is welded. The fillet weld only applies to the side to which it points because the other three sides constitutes changes in direction.

It would be helpful if you included a sketch with your question. I may be interpreting your question incorrectly.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-17-2008 06:12
can please post also the weld symbol?

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 01-17-2008 15:42
Seems to me that if the fillet weld is only for three or four inches long and not for the entire length of the joint, then that three or four inches of fillet weld, in conjunction with the v groove, is all the weld that's needed to support the stresses being imposed on the joint.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding question