Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Licenced D1.1 digital Copy
- - By Bill M (***) Date 01-18-2008 15:38
Can a corporation purchase a digital copy licence of D1.1 to post and use throught a corporation's internal only intranet site?

(Or does every individual need to purchase his own copy?)
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 01-18-2008 17:42
I haven't purchased a digital copy of any AWS code yet but, on other codes it's typically a secured PDF that can only be opened on one and only one computer. Some only allow you to print once. There's alot of ways around those restrictions but, many are tedious to employ.

I'd love an HTML version as then it would be searchable and acessable from any workstation but, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 01-18-2008 20:21
I know what you mean Rick.  We have a lot of copies here, and as time goes by, people have various issue dates.

Design / engineering personnel here have a few D1.1 copies,  Quality has a few copies...there are a few copies in the weld shop supervisors office, the CWI guys each has his own copy, our corporate field offices have (or should) have a current copy ...etc. 
I would be interested in learning the costs to secure a digital copy on our network.  I am not trying to nickle/dime AWS and buy one digital copy and put it on our server for everyone to use, I want to investigate buying a network licenced corporate copy.  I am sure it would be expensive, but so are all the hard copies we buy, and another plus would be that everyone in the company is current to the latest edition.  I haven't got a response yet directly from AWS on this inquiry, I was just curious what others are thinking, and passing my inquiry on to the group here.
Parent - By rickc (**) Date 01-18-2008 20:34
I hear that! We've got nearly a dozen copies of D1.1 at this facility alone.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-22-2008 18:01
The "one and only one computer" aspect is a major annoyance.  I want something I can keep on my flash drive and open ANYWHERE.  There has to be a way to make something non-reproducible yet not computer-dependent.  Not everyone has their own personal workstation.  Never mind the problem if god forbid you get a computer upgrade.

Hate it hate it hate it hate it.

Hg

p.s. Hate it.

p.p.s.  Really hate it.
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 01-23-2008 02:25
Don't have this problem with API 1104.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 01-23-2008 15:41
For some reason the feds won't let me switch welding code just to get a more convenient electronic medium...
Parent - By adavis (*) Date 01-19-2008 14:19
Please contact either AWS's fulfilment partner on 1-888-WELDING or myself at AWS to get details of how to purchase site licenses of AWS standards in PDF format

Details in the AWS catalog at www.aws.org/catalogs on page 2

Andrew Davis
Managing Director, Technical Services Division
1-305-443-9353 X466
adavis@aws.org
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Licenced D1.1 digital Copy