Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Time spent in community colledge welding class
- - By randycrawford (*) Date 01-19-2008 06:11
Hello to all,

I would like to thank many of you for your contribution to this site, and have noticed many of you are very devoted to helping people. Thank you!

I have signed up for a couple of welding courses this semester at the local C.C., trying to advance my knowledge, and welding ability. Classes started this week, and granted this is my first time to attend any classes as an adult, and the way classes are conducted is new to me. I am shceduled to go on Tues. & Thurs. 7:00pm - 10:00pm for one course, and Sat. 8:00am - 2:00pm. On tues. class lasted 15 min. long enough for the instructor to introduce himself, and hand us a syllubus for the coures, and said be back thursday. Thursday we watched the safety films that lasted only 1 hour, class ended. The instructor said he would test us on the safety film next Tuesday. Is this normal for class to get of to such a slow start, and waste time in this manner. These semester courses are only 13 weeks long, minus the holidays that will take away, and school breaks. This is time I have payed for and is just throwed away. Any guidance or instruction concerning this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,and may God bless
Parent - By weldgault (**) Date 01-19-2008 23:09
I would say the teacher is a little short on knowledge of welding,  I would complain to management.  I have operated two welding schools and we started out the first hour with teaching the basics.  2 hours class and 6 hours lab, per day.   John
Parent - - By Tri-mix Date 01-26-2008 06:10
I agree.  He is either weak in knowledge or just plain lazy.  I have students in the lab the first day, maybe not welding, but getting to know the shop and equipment.
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 02-09-2008 06:34
Hi Randy, i believe 80% OF your class should be  hands on in the welding booth.
Sometimes, i believe the schools want to put less time in the shop because of the
cost of the welding material. After a couple of weeks  you should know if that course
is want you want or if is benefitting you, as to your needs.
Gives us some feedback.
dh
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Time spent in community colledge welding class