Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Time spent in community colledge welding class
- - By randycrawford (*) Date 01-19-2008 06:16
Hello to all,

I would like to thank many of you for your contribution to this site, and have noticed many of you are very devoted to helping people. Thank you!

I have signed up for a couple of welding courses this semester at the local C.C., trying to advance my knowledge, and welding ability. Classes started this week, and granted this is my first time to attend any classes as an adult, and the way classes are conducted is new to me. I am shceduled to go on Tues. & Thurs. 7:00pm - 10:00pm for one course, and Sat. 8:00am - 2:00pm. On tues. class lasted 15 min. long enough for the instructor to introduce himself, and hand us a syllubus for the coures, and said be back thursday. Thursday we watched the safety films that lasted only 1 hour, class ended. The instructor said he would test us on the safety film next Tuesday. Is this normal for class to get of to such a slow start, and waste time in this manner. These semester courses are only 13 weeks long, minus the holidays that will take away, and school breaks. This is time I have payed for and is just throwed away. Any guidance or instruction concerning this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,and may God bless
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-19-2008 07:38 Edited 01-19-2008 07:42
Randy.

You are perfectly justified in expecting 3 hours of instruction in your Tues & Thurs class.  You should also expect 5 hours of instruction on Saturdays..... You paid for it diddn't you?

Any instructor worth their salt can keep a class quite engaged for at least 20 hours with safety and process basics in the classroom if for some reason the shop space is unavailable.  The first week of a welding class is usually devoted to safety, shop familliarization and basic process theory. Every instructor has their own way to get through this difficult and sometimes frustrating portion of the program.... Sending students away without an assignment or without delivering instruction over the scheduled teaching period is not a wise use of the time alloted.

If things get going and next week your days are full, my advice would be to let it go, so you can get off on the right foot with your instructor. (even if he really diddn't do his part).  If you have even one more day next week that sends you away with less than a full class period, you should without delay approach the department Dean, respectfully and without visible anger, and make him aware that you are not being provided the instruction you and the rest of those students  have paid for.   Do not complain directly to the instructor, he already knows what he has done.  If you do not  recieve satisfaction from the Dean on the spot you should ask him for a full refund for your classes and any other fees. There may be other places nearby who will gladly take your money and train you.  If other students in your class share your feelings, encourage them to approach the Dean as well.

I'm sorry your return to adult education has gotten off to a poor start.  Your are right to have high expectations. 

Let us know how things go from here for you.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 01-22-2008 17:37
The one time I took a community college class at night, it was a similar deal.  The instructor was just moonlighting, didn't care, and typically held class for less than an hour instead of the two or three hours it was supposed to last.

At the time, more than half a lifetime ago, I didn't care because it meant I could use the time to hang out with a friend--I would even call my parents to say that class ran late so I could stay out even longer!  But if it happened now, I'd complain to the college.  Not only are the students getting cheated for what they pay in tuition, but the college is getting cheated for what they pay that instructor in salary.

Now I'm toying with the idea of taking a CC welding class.  I don't have a whole lot of time to spare, so I'd be really pissed off if I dedicated that time and then the instructor ripped me off that way.

Hg
Parent - By weldgault (**) Date 01-24-2008 03:09
Randy, I guess some of us try to go out of our way to educate as best we can and love it.  Sorry for you and not getting what you wanted.  If you get started, let us know and maybe we can be of some help.   John
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Time spent in community colledge welding class