Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Sqaure tubing procedure per D1.1(2006)
- - By Kix (****) Date 01-21-2008 16:10
Like it says i'm getting ready to qualify another CJP procedure with rectangle tubing.  One of my questions is that the tube is seam welded and those seams are going to be right in my tensile pulls and bend straps.  Do you guys think this will hinder my performance tests at all?  My second question is one about qualification range for the size of my rectangle tube.  The size of my tube is 3" X 4" X .31".  Is Table 4.2 on page 136 the only place I have to go to explain my rage of qualification on this rectangle tube?  I ask this because it is not really clear about rectangular tube sizes.  I don't have a problem with the thickness qualification range because it it pretty clear. I only have one thickness the whole way around the tube.

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By geralderik (*) Date 01-22-2008 16:51
In Table 4.2 NOTE E saying that "Qualification with any pipe diameter shall qualify all box section widths and depths."

Good luck

Erik
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-22-2008 16:59
Thats the thing this isn't considered a pipe is it?  I'm welding the actual rectangular box tube together in the 6G.  If you look at note D it says CJP groove weld qualification on any thickness or dia shall qualify any size fillet or PJP groove weld for any thickness or dia.  Maybe that one will work in my case.lol
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 01-22-2008 17:44
I think what he meant was, qualify your procedure with pipe instead of square tube.  Might have interpreted that wrong.

Personally, I would have the tube inspected before I used it in a coupon.  Or make enough coupons so that the tensiles don't have to be taken from that location on the seam.  We work with a lot of welded seam here, but all our stuff is PJP qualified on fillets.

Good luck.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-22-2008 18:28
What about the material the tube is made out of?  I'm thinking it might be a bit difficult to find some A513 pipe and we don't have any good pipe in the plant.  All I have to work with is the production Box tube that I cut 6" coupons out of.  Thanks for taking the time to post up and help me out!
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 01-22-2008 20:15
Digging through the book, Fig. 4.8 will show where you should take your specimens from, and it looks like they would come from either side of the seam. The thickness would be from tbl. 4.2 as you were saying. 1/8" thru 2T.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-22-2008 21:14
The seams are all over the place.  Some seams are in the middle, some are on the sides and some are just off to the left or right of the middle.  I cut my coupons out of scrap pieces so no one seam is in the same place.  Guess we'll find out because they're going to the lab 2marra.  I'll be sure to post up how things went for future reference.

Thanks for all the help, Ray C.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 01-23-2008 17:18
Pictures!  We want pictures!
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-24-2008 13:05
I probably could bring in the old digi cam for this occasion when the time comes.
Parent - - By H2oSkidog (*) Date 01-25-2008 00:55
Hi Kix,Where I work we do cpj welds on sqaure tube a lot and I take it as a prequalfied joint [with a backing bar]or when its not a T,Y,or K and we [welders]qualified on plate using only our WQTR.I'am probally missing something,but it did'nt look like a special PQR was was required  for box tube if you have a basic 1" plate unlimited cert.                                                                                                                                              
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 01-25-2008 21:49
a plate cert to weld tube? only if over 24"
Parent - By H2oSkidog (*) Date 01-26-2008 04:17
Hi Hogan,I see 24" and over for pipe and round tube,we are refering to sq. tube.Looking at table 4.10 in[D1.1 2006] in the box tube col. it shows CJP  is permitted with the plate qualification.I'am new and dont feel confident if I read the book right.Can some one confirm one way or the other.I figure there are a few ways and this is just one of them to be qualified for CJP box tube.          
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Sqaure tubing procedure per D1.1(2006)