Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stainless to carbon with carbon solid wire?
- - By Kix (****) Date 01-21-2008 19:25
What kind of metalurgical problems am I looking at if I have a 304 stainless welded to an A513 rectangle tube?  I'm having my guys cut out a bunch of welds where they welded 304 stainless mounting brackets to A513 tubes with ER70S-3 wire. I'm having them reweld them with 309L stainless wire.  My question is did I take this one to far?  Easy part is that a few of these are still in the fixture and won't be too big of a deal to repair, but there was one that made it by and got painted and now what the heck am I to do?  I really don't want to have any of these break.  I'm pretty sure that I could potentially have cracking issues on my hands later on down the road if I don't fix this.  What do you guys think?

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-21-2008 21:49
You have concern to worry about cracking. E309 is a good choice for welding carbon steel to austenitic stainless. If you plot your base metals and diluted weld on the WRC diagram, you will see the carbon steel filler metal will put you into unfavorable territory (from a metallurgical stand point). You want your diluted weld chemistry to have a minimum of 18% Cr and 8% Ni.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-22-2008 13:05 Edited 01-22-2008 14:07
Hey, thanks Al!  Do you know a good place to find a WRC diagram on the net? Also where did you find the chemical composition of A513 steel?  I can not find it anywhere.

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-23-2008 04:16
Did you do a search of the web? You can try Lincoln's web site and you can look in the AWS Handbooks or Kotecki's recent book (best source by far). I believe I also saw it in the latest edition of the D1.6 Structural Welding Code/Stainless Steel (I don't have it in front of me, its in the car and that's at my dad's house - I'm using his pickup truck - more than you wanted to know, huh?). The diagram in the D1.6 is the modified WRC diagram and it extends the Cr equiv. and Ni equiv. to include carbon steel.

As for the chemistry, the ASTM standards is a good strting point if you don't have actuals from an CMTR.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stainless to carbon with carbon solid wire?