Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cored Wire
- - By ctacker (****) Date 01-22-2008 20:34
is  cored wire considered GMAW  and if my welder is qualified for E70S-6 , he should be qualified for E70C-6M shouldn't he?
Thanks in advance!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-22-2008 20:47
Yes and Yes

Note AWS D1.1 Table 3.1 Filler metal requirements  and A5.18 where E70S-XXX and E70C-XXX are treated as one and the same.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-22-2008 21:45
I agree with Lar, the welder is qualified for Metal Core if he qualified with Solid wire....just watch your gas composition to make sure you stay OK as far as your procedure goes, see Table 4.5(19)(gas doesn't effect the welder quals.)
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-23-2008 02:50
Thanks guys, I thought I was right, but a little reinforcement was needed!
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-05-2008 20:13
Yes. Even though your GMAW spray weldor is qualified to weld MCAW being grouped with GMAW, (Short Circuit is considered a separate process and not prequalified, see D1.1 Table 4.12 #1 & 3.2.1 & 3.2.2) and please note C-4.18, it is "The intention is that the Contractor would train the welding operator to weld using the new equipment." Also note MCAW is "normally" in spray mode and used in the flat and horizontal positions, therefore a qualified WPS within the "range recommended by the electrode manufacturer" (5.3.1.2) shall be provided. Key word before production is "Training" to use the equipment and specific process.

I will admit I disagree with AWS on this point, GMAW & MCAW should be separated for qualification and FCAWg &  FCAWs should be separated for qualification. They are different enough for further training to be required to pass a qualification test for each process. -- But I will follow what the AWS dictates on any point.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Cored Wire