Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PQR parameters question
- - By dmilesdot (**) Date 01-23-2008 16:28
We have a proposed change to our manual that says:"Any deviation beyond plus or minus 10 amps, 1 volt or 1" per minute (as relates to travel speed) from the PQR parameters as stated on the approved preliminary PQR sheet shall be cause for rejection."
Here is the situation, A fabricator sends in a preliminary PQR sheet with the parameters that he wants to use on a PQR.  We approve it and send it back to him.  The CWI that witnesses the PQR being welded rejects the PQR for being outside of the limits stated above. 
Opinions please.  I would really like to hear from the Welding Engineers out there. 
Thanks
Dave
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-23-2008 17:29
It sounds like an unreasonable expectation to me.  There are always changes from what is expected on a preliminary PQR. The actual parameters they use are what get mechanically and non-destructively tested.  Just because they may have varied slightly from what the originally predicted is no reason to reject anything.  If I saw that in a specification, I'd charge at least double for any planned PQRs, and what are you getting for your money? 
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-23-2008 17:58
If "we" proposed this change, do you have access to the person who proposed it and to their reasoning?

What's the point of the preliminary PQR sheet to begin with?

I can see a restriction on a pass-by-pass basis so you don't have such a variation from pass to pass that the "official" PQR parameters are meaningless.  But I can't see rejecting an internally consistent PQR that would have been perfectly acceptable if not compared to a preliminary proposal.

Hg
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-23-2008 19:19
Also, what would keep someone from just submitting a new preliminary PQR that now matches their already run real PQR?
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-24-2008 04:30
Dave

Speaking for the PQR test only.  Please remember the PQR test can be run with a mechanized tractor.  It is the test of a particular electrode and shielding medium run at a given set of parameters.  It is the only way for the fabricator to maintain a constant travel speed.   An experienced fabricator would already know what the sweet spot for his welding operation is.  Some cheat because they have gotten away with it before.  Others submit a PQR for approval only after they have worked it out previously or have experience using it.  If a PQR is being run, and the fabricator varies from it. the CWI shouldn't reject it.  He should record it, and that will be the new WPS parameter based on the qualified procedure.

I think 1 volt is perferctly reasonable.  Most wire fed operations work best at an optimum voltage that is a whole number and a fraction.  (I.E. 34.7 volts)  A few tenths of a volt either way, and the optimum is lost.  The typical +/- 7% allowance is way out of the box for the optimum.  +/- 1 volt is very generous.

I think +/- 10 amps is too tight. simple variations in stick-out get a variation of up to 30 volts in one pass on the same joint.

Having said all this, it is also important to remember that voltage meters and especially clampmeters that update twice a second, will have variations in amperage greater than 25%.  These readings are not a realistic indicator of true average amps or volts.  Constant Wire Feed Speed and consistant electrical stick-out are better parameter builders.

To be realistic, if a PQR is also used to cover semi-automatic welding (Hand held and guided), a fabricator has to qualify several procedures to account for the variations inherrent in manually controlled welding procedures. (At least four PQRs.)  Charpy values must be proven for each PQR parameter set and travel speed.

Be aware; Most SAW passes  will not fully re-melt tack welds.  This is especially true if it is a parameter for a single pass 5/16 inch Fillet Weld. Thus unpreheated tack welding should be prohibited, unless the fabricator can prove that he can re-melt them in a production sized mock up!. 

Parent - - By Flash Date 01-27-2008 07:32
Dave
the prelim PQR is really to seek approval from the client as to the process and method of welding, not so much amps
the PQR test is what matters, I have never heard of a % change or actual change tolerance betweeen a prelim and an actual PQR test
10amps or 1 volt, well it would depend on the process GTA or MMA is constant current so the volts could vary more than 1 volt along the length of the test plate
GMA is constant voltage so the amps would vary more than 10 amps along the length of the test plate anyway
as has been suggested the actual pqr is what matters as it is this test plate that is mechanically tested to verify the joint if welded the same as the test will survive in service
maybe there is some confusion, maybe they are talking abotu the WPS, these parameters are tight even for a WPS generally they are a % of the amps or volts that were used for the test plate to allow for operator variation not absolute values
and the % vary depending on the process for the reasons mentioned previously
Regards
Flash
www.technoweld.com.au
Parent - By QUOCVUONG (*) Date 01-27-2008 09:43 Edited 01-28-2008 16:33
I don't know what para in AWS standard has mentioned that it requires tolerance welding parameter between PWPS (proposal WPS) and PQR.
as my understanding, the PWPS is a proposal or draft for anything you want to do in the PQR such as welding process, material, consumables, welding parameter, NDT application, Mechanical test application...
it is not mandatory correct 100% the welding parameter as per PWPS approval.
as I know, the AWS only requires tolerance welding parameter between WPS and PQR support. it is determination by amperage, voltage, travel speed. see Table 4.5 item 12,16,18.
I agree with Flash that  it has some confusion between PWPS, PQR and WPS
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-27-2008 12:43
4.6 Preparation of WPS
The manufacturer or Contractor shall prepare a written
WPS that specifies all of the applicable essential variables
referenced in 4.7. The specific values for these
WPS variables shall be obtained from the procedure
qualification record (PQR), which shall serve as written
confirmation of a successful WPS qualification.

Maybe I am missing something here, please let me know if I am. Based on para. 4.6, I thought the whole point of a PQR was to test the welding parameters metallurgically/mechanically and which if it successfully meets the mechanical requirements, can then be used to define the parameters for your WPS within said essential variables?

This seems to be putting the cart before the horse to me. That preliminary pqr is just to get a starting point, if actual values are recorded during the process, and those values can be lived with by engineering, whats the problem?

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-28-2008 02:13
I agree.  This almost sounds like a "which came first the chicken or the egg?" situation.

I would think that the "accuracy" of the preliminary WPS is a secondary concern.   The WPS should be within the manufacturer's recommendations, with heat input ranges that seem reasonable for the work that will be performed (proportionate to the weld pass size).  But if the PQR welding exceeds the range of the WPS, all you are going to get is a revised WPS and a delay in the process. 

Acceptable PQR results, and the WPS's supported by the PQR would be the primary concern.  That's what your product will be welded with. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PQR parameters question