Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Ironworkers 383 madison WI
- By jones1113 Date 01-24-2008 01:42
Hello, I am a new poster, but I have been lurking for a few months.  I saw a posting that the ironworker's union in the Madison area is doing testing in the next week for apprentices.  I know that there are a few Ironworker's on this board that are part of the 383 or know someone who is in that union.  I just have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me. 

First of all,is this just a mandatory test that they perform yearly to keep a certain number of applications of file, or are they really looking for apprentices?  Next, is the job outlook pretty strong in southern WI, or is there a lot of travel out of state?  I have a few friends in the bricklayers union and they have to work out in Montana, because they don't have any work.  I was told that the way apprentices are selected is that the people who score the highest and do well in the interview go to the top of the list, is this true?  So is it possible to score really well and get an apprenticeship before someone who performs average or below?  Those are the only questions I have for now.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message, and answer my questions.

matt   
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Ironworkers 383 madison WI