Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 035 hardwire verticals
- - By jesusno2 (*) Date 01-24-2008 05:51
this may be a stupid question but whats the trick to running vertical hardwire passes? most the time i've just downhilled it. but apparentley thats a big no no. i've tried running uphill with it before but it never really works out to well it looks kinda ropey and sorta sags ive tried different voltages but i think it's more in the techneque than the welder.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-24-2008 06:29
All it takes is a PQR for downhill verts, we have several where i work for up and down!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-24-2008 12:48 Edited 01-24-2008 12:51
#2  It's a very good queston for what many folks find to be a tricky weld.

If your trying to run GMAW Vert with upward progression I'll assume you are running in the short circuiting transfer mode.

With 100% C02 Gas (this gas delivers maximum short circuiting arc energy) I like 17.5 Volts and about 200 inches per minute.  About a 10 degree push angle on the gun. A stickout of about 1/4 inch from the contact tube (which should be set even to the nozzle to 1/8 inch beyond the nozzel.)

Now the above parameters are not Indy 500 production speeds... But these parameters are proven to produce good sidewall fusion on plain carbon steel up to 3/8 inch in thickness.

A very slight side to side motion, just a couple wire diameters, <less than a weave, I like to call it a wiggle> this will help flatten out the bead.

Vert down can be run at much higher rates of both speed and deposition. But sidewall fusion issues occur with all but the very best craftsmen.  If you are working to D1.1 code you would need to qualify your procedures for short circut in both upward and downward progression seperatly.

If this were a production situation and your material is thicker than 1/8, you might like to consider FCAW with gas shielding... This process is much more reliable, it can be used in all positions with much higher deposition rates (more efficient production and quality) and the procedures may be prequalified.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-24-2008 13:29
Are you doing this in school or is this at home or in your garage welding?  Do you know what gas you are using to make these welds you speak of?  Do you clean the mill scale off of the piece to be welded if there is any?  Mill scale will give you a bad case of the nasty on your bead appearance.  It makes the puddle much more fluidy, harder to control the sag in the center and usually makes for some nice undercut in the toes of your weld.  Like Lawrence said wire stickout plays a big role in short circuit transfer.  I catch guys all the time running their contact tip way back in the cup witch makes for a long stickout (long stick out nasty).  I hate a lot of these new guns because you can only adjust stickout by buying all kinds of different cups.  I just take the ones we have and grind them back so my tip is flush with the cup or sticking out a bit past the end of the cup for slicking in a nice root on bevel plate. 
     I like to use a trianlgle weave method for the first pass on a fillet weld so I can get goot penetration into the root of the fillet.  Experiment with different techniques and you will find one that works for you.  Hope some of this info helps and keep asking questions.

Good luck!
Parent - - By jesusno2 (*) Date 01-24-2008 14:58
i've been at work doing this the gas is a 90/10 mixture it is short arc mode with a 350p i'm gonna have to try that low voltage. i've been in the 20 volts range with about 265 wire speed.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-24-2008 16:02
20 V and 265 ipm is not a bad place for 90/10 gas... Assuming 0.035 wire dia.

But a bit lower wire feed speed and voltage will provide you with more "think time"  which is important for those that are inexperienced with a particular procedure...  Once you have mastered the slower rates you can increase a bit for higher productivity.

Your 350P has pulsation capabilities that might (might) provide better vert-up performance... The little chart on the drop down cover provides some pretty good rates....  Again.. Just stay at the lower end of the range until your comfortable.
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-24-2008 16:55
Just another view. Those numbers would be alright for Vert. down but I would lower them for uphill. If you are doing groove welds try to keep the passes thin for downhill. I'm talking about thickness deposit not width. For example, if you were welding 1/4 thick material you should be around 3 layers and have a 1/16 to 3/32 cap height. If you're filling this joint in two passes you are traveling too slow for the parameter settings and will end up with fusion problems. Or if your cap is higher, again too slow, fusion problems. If you are welding a groove uphill, move fast through the middle and pause at the toes. You almost can't move through the middle to fast. This will allow the weld to flatten out. If you are using the same speed from side to side you will end up being in the middle way too long, resulting in a drooping face and underfill at the toes from the liquid metal running to the center
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 035 hardwire verticals