Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 2 Year Degree....???
- - By Dontblink95 Date 01-24-2008 15:23
Hi im going to a tech. school to be a welder im already certified in smaw all positions and only have one position left until im fully pipe certified then im going to move on to MIG and TIG. After I get out of this tech school I plan to attend a two year college that offers these programs Technical Studies, Safety Technology which one of those or please feel free to suggest a different degree that will help me earn more and find a job easier in the welding career.

Thank You
Mike
Parent - - By Dontblink95 Date 01-24-2008 15:30
Or should i just get my industrial maintenance certificate and my 2 year business degree?
Parent - By Aspirate (**) Date 01-24-2008 22:35 Edited 01-24-2008 22:38
in the "welding career" you said?  it depends what you want to do.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-27-2008 02:51
If you can weld I would recommend getting the business degree then look for a job in the welding industry. Most companies will give you a test W/O any kind of degree ut if you cna weld and have a business degree, there are doors which will open you have no idea exist yet! You can transfer your business degree to a 4 year college in the future. THe welding degree may be a little harder.
BABRt's
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-25-2008 17:39
What about welding technology.  They have 2 year associate degree's in welding tech offered at most tech schools. Shoot, once you get all your certs your pretty much allready half way there.  Now all you'll need is your maths, science, english and a few others.
Parent - By arrowside (**) Date 01-26-2008 14:56
I got my associates in welding tech. in 1993. I went right out of high school and paid out of my own pocket. The biggest piece of advice that I can give you is to take your certs and go to work for a good company. Then, if all is well with the co. your working for, let them pay for your schooling. Working and school at the same time is not easy, but you will be finacially ahead BIG TIME in the end. Just my .02.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 2 Year Degree....???