Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Engineers?
- - By weldrecruiter Date 01-24-2008 16:23
I'm looking for industry related networking ideas in regards to welding. Currently, I've been retained by an industry leading employer to find a Welding Engineer.  The position is a direct hire opportunity and is with a company that is globally known for being the leader in automotive technology. Any ideas on how I might find an individual like this?  I'd appreciate any feedback, as this is a new area for me.
THANKS!
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 01-24-2008 17:20
Try Ferris State University in Michigan or LeTourneau University in TX.

Also, LinkedIn.com and Zoominfo.com are good networking sites.  You can post a job there or look for welding engineers by job title.  You might need to steal them away from their present job though - but they might know of other people.
Parent - By weldrecruiter Date 01-24-2008 20:47
Thank you! I'll look into those 2 schools. Any association or other networking/blog sites you'd recommend?
Parent - - By RBeldyk (**) Date 01-24-2008 18:49
Between linkedIn and Zoominfo I have fouund linkedin to be more useful.

A quick search for welding engineer on linkedIn.com results is 500 people.

For those of you who have not look at linkedIn.com here is what it is (copy for the linkedIN website) -

LinkedIn is an online network of more than 17 million experienced professionals from around the world, representing 150 industries.

When you join, you create a profile that summarizes your professional accomplishments. Your profile helps you find and be found by former colleagues, clients, and partners. You can add more connections by inviting trusted contacts to join LinkedIn and connect to you.

Your network consists of your connections, your connections' connections, and the people they know, linking you to thousands of qualified professionals.

Through your network you can:
- Find potential clients, service providers, subject experts, and partners who come recommended
- Be found for business opportunities
- Search for great jobs
- Discover inside connections that can help you land jobs and close deals
- Post and distribute job listings
- Find high-quality passive candidates
- Get introduced to other professionals through the people you know

LinkedIn is free to join.

I have found linkedIn to be useful in delevloping relationships with new customers. Finding out who we know in common.

Rich
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rbeldyk
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 03:15
You might try Ohio State University.

Al
Parent - - By RBeldyk (**) Date 01-25-2008 11:09
You can also post your request on The Ohio State University Welding Engineering Alumni Society site http://www.ewi.org/alumni/ by sending your job ad to Nancy Porter at nancy_porter@ewi.org.
Parent - By weldrecruiter Date 01-25-2008 20:53
Thanks! I just found her info today.  If anyone is interested, I can always send a job description- if you'd be willing to forward on to anyone possibly interested in a career switch.
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 01-25-2008 03:19 Edited 01-25-2008 03:33
You must be working for AeroTek.
What's the going rate for level II UT MT and PT?
My RT card expired and I want to keep it that way.
Regards, Bill
Parent - - By weldrecruiter Date 01-25-2008 20:57
Actually, I don't work for AeroTek, although I have heard of them.  The position I am looking to fill is a direct hire, non-contract placement within my customer's facility.  As I mentioned, I'm new in this field, so I'm not up on your abbreviations, can you please elaborate for me?
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 01-29-2008 14:45
Another place to check is Pennsylvana College of Technology.  Phone number is (570) 327-4502, Career Services.  Not sure if the candidate needs to have several years of experience or not but,  someone can help locate either recent graduates or upcoming graduates.  In response to the abbreviations they are

PT: Liquid Penetrant Testing
MT: Magnetic Particle Testing
UT: Ultrasonic Testing
RT: Radiographic Testing

All of which are NDT, Non Desrtuctive Testing, methods used in various fields.  Different levels of certification can be obtained.  Levels I-III.  If you need further information on NDT check out the ASNT, American Society for Nondestructive Testing.  Website is: http://www.asnt.org/
Parent - - By weldrecruiter Date 01-29-2008 20:38
Thank you so much! This is all a lot to wrap my brain around, so I appreciate everyone's help. Motgar- what profession are you currently in?
Parent - By motgar (**) Date 01-30-2008 13:33
Welding Engineer, for an OEM of mineral processing equipment.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-30-2008 14:45
"My RT card expired and I want to keep it that way."

AMEN to that.

Regards,
Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Engineers?