Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Anyone know.....
- - By weldrecruiter Date 01-24-2008 16:28
Of a Welding Engineer? I'm looking for industry related networking ideas in regards to welding. Currently, I've been retained by an industry leading employer to find a full time Welding Engineer.  The position is a direct hire opportunity and is with a company that is globally known for being the leader in automotive technology. Any ideas on how I might find an individual like this?  I'd appreciate any feedback, as this is a new area for me.
THANKS!
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 02-13-2008 04:38
You're kidding, right? Someone speaking English still designs cars?
Parent - - By weldrecruiter Date 02-13-2008 20:28
Yes. I'm looking for helpful feedback. Any ideas on where I could find an Welding Engineer?
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-13-2008 20:42
Where are you located?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 02-13-2008 20:53
Didn't you already post last week?  We said to go to linkedin.com.  You can search by profession there.  For an automotive welding engineer you could try Ferris State University in Michigan.  Look for an alumni.  For an aerospace or nuclear welding engineer go to LeTourneau University or Ohio State.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 02-14-2008 01:58
Sorry, I shouldn't have been so cute with a response. I stayed at the Renaissance in Detroit for a welding trade show some years back and I was struck by how influenced that trade show was by the automotive industry. There seemed no urgency to use less oil, and thereby building more fuel efficient and less profitable vehicles and there has been nothing but footdragging ever since, so I have witnessed the beginning of the end first-hand. At least that's how I see it. What I gathered was that Ohio State had the goods for you.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-14-2008 15:30
I think the emphasis on the auto industry at welding shows is related to robotics. There seems to be little novelty-technology wise-when it comes to the standard fusion welding processes. Pulsing is old now, square waves, inverters, wave form controls, etc. Even the new AC/DC SAW's are just reconfigurations of old technologies with updated electronics to facilitate greater control. The great majority of technology involving fusion welding technology came out of research from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Add the 70's and a bit of the 80's and you have almost everything.
Robotics is still sexy and evolving. And the auto industry has been heavily robotic for some time. this is also, nmy opinion why the welding shows have slowed downin interest of late. The standard fusion techiquesstill dominate the industry, but developement is in other areas.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Anyone know.....