Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / European weld symbols
- - By ctacker (****) Date 01-24-2008 17:19
I have been getting drawings made in europe and it seems the weld symbols are different, line side and other side are opposite.
Is this standard for europe or am i getting an engineer that dont know the difference?
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-24-2008 17:36
here is a bit of info on this
The European Standard EN22553 is similar except that it has a dotted reference line which allows the welding symbol to be drawn either way up, see example below.
http://www.gowelding.com/weld/symbol/symbol.htm
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-24-2008 17:54
I'm pretty sure they should be the same as us.  Arrowside on bottom and otherside on top.  At least thats what I have seen from over seas prints.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-24-2008 21:18
I talked to the engineer today, he informed me this is his first weldment project, and they handed him 225 tons of weldments and turned him loose! he said he asked and was told the top of line was arrow side. so I got him straightened out (I hope).
Thanks for the responses and link!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 03:10 Edited 01-25-2008 03:13
Any information on the solid (continuous) line is applied to the "arrow side".

Any information on the dotted line is applied to the "other side" regardless of whether the dotted line is below or above the solid line.

Fillet welds can be dimensioned by the throat or the leg. The designer has to specify which is used.

Its been a while since I've used these symbols, so it would be in your best interest to confirm what I've said is correct.

I just took a look at the website mentioned in another response. I see the English have a little twist on what I said, so the question is, who are the designers and who is your customer? I'm sure they will not be offended if you ask them for an interpretation. However, I'm equally sure they will be very upset if you weld it incorrectly and your didn't ask them for clarification.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-25-2008 04:45
I also checked the website, and you are correct that the dotted line is "other side" whether its above or below, but The engineer was at our shop today and looked like a 20 yr old kid, he also said it was his first weldment project and asked someone and got the wrong info. I told him he can call if he needs to find out anything like that again.
now we know why the new Boeing jet is behind schedule, he said they been working on the drawings over 2 years now! these are huge weldments that get machined and used for wrapping the composite material for the 787 body.
Thanks again for the quick responses!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / European weld symbols