Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam
- - By irnwlkr Date 01-25-2008 15:14
Greetings all,

I am preparing for the CWI exam.I have noticed alot of questions concerning this topic so I thought I would ask some of my  own. First let me give some background,I have been a certified structural welder for 8 years,I currently assist in the teaching of welding theory,symbols,metallurgy and hands on instruction for ironworker apprentices,Our apprentices are certified in 3G, 4G SMAW(7018) and FCAW 3G,4G 232 wire. My question is what kind of actual math is there on the exam, Conversions? what kind? algebra?pertaining to what functions? basic math? trig? Calculus? Just trying to be ahead of the game.I have taken algebra before but it is not like falling off of a bicycle,if you dont use it you definitely forget it so I will need to brushup on that subject if it is on the exam.Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 01-25-2008 15:24
walter , let me be the first to welcome you to the forum . if you use the search function you should find your answers . i think with your background you will do fine . i have to run right now , i'll check when i get in to-nite after plowing snow . but i'm shure others will chime in . good luck . willie 
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 01-25-2008 15:59
There wont be any calculus.  There will be some conversions and and some questions have exponents. Other than those it is just basic math. You should be well suited to pass.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 01-25-2008 16:25
When I took it in '95 it was all just basic math (converting carbon equivelency,etc.),you should be fine.good luck
Parent - - By undercut Date 01-25-2008 21:05
I agree with Ringo, It's just basic math and the math shouldn't be your main concern.Code book and practical are the main challenge.
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 01-26-2008 14:40
They give you all of the formulas for the math questions. Just make sure that you understand what the parenthesis mean and other stuff like that and you'll be golden.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-30-2008 01:23
Basic algerbra so you can work with some formulas to calculate the area of a rectangle and circle. Some simple elongation and reduction in area problems. A few conversions from customary to SI units and vice versa. Calculate ultimate tensile strength. Inches of wire feed per minute convert to millimeters per second. Cubic feet per hour converted to liters per minute. Pounds per square inch converted to Megapacals. Inches to millimeters, centimeters, meters, etc.

If you teach for your apprentice program, try to take the CWI review with Rick M. in San Diego. You can't go wrong with Rick teaching the class.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam