Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Weld Symbols
- - By DAVID 2 Date 01-25-2008 17:29
What is the most probable weld symbol on reinforcing steel ?  I am studying for the CWI exam and want to confirm the answer to this question ?

Thanks

Dave
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 17:54
Dave,
Think about the shape of the rebar and the most likely configuration that would require welding of rebar......... ;-)
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-25-2008 20:49
Round and a sculpture?  Round and a cattle gate?  Round and for a rusted out fender support?  I give up. ;-)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 21:34
Ray,
The welding of cattle feed troughs or cattle gates were not on the CWI exam when I took it many moons ago....LOL

You must have it confused with the Farm Code.....
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 21:37
How about a flare-bevel groove weld?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-25-2008 21:46
or fillet
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-27-2008 00:31
All the way around flare bevel grove weld.lol  I'm just funnin John..
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-29-2008 09:26
David 2,

for welding reinforcing steel bar, either double flare bevel (bar to plate) or double flare vee (bar to bar) is most probable.

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-30-2008 03:38
Hi Noel Tan!!!

Don't forget about the the single flare-bevel, or a single flare-vee (AWS A2.4, figure 20 on pages 36&37) also... If David 2 is the person I'm thinking of, then he should consider referring to both AWS A3.0 & A2.4 in their most current versions because there is a figure in A3.0 that also shows two reinforcing bars with their ends connected along their axis to form a butt joint... in addition to this, attached to where both members of reinforcing bar meet, and beyond -  is what's called: "Split pipe backing" (Figure 12, page 61)... in order to weld the split pipe backing to the reinforcing bars, one needs to deposit fillet welds to join the split pipe backing to the reinforcing bar... However, not being one that works with re-bar like David 2 does... Does one also have to deposit a groove weld to join the two re-bar members together along it's axis prior to applying the split pipe backing???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-30-2008 05:21
Henry,

haha... of course i will not forget those signle side weld.
in term of bevel, they are more or less the same... only depend on welded on single side or double side.
but if considered the most probable and only for CWI exam purposes.

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - By Inspectkta Date 02-19-2008 08:09
Double bevel, or fillet would be my answer.  Are you using CJP, or PJP?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Weld Symbols