Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / About Groove Type for CJP
- - By viettq (*) Date 01-26-2008 05:46 Edited 01-28-2008 04:51
May I ask you something?
Table 4.5, PQR Essential Variable Changes Requiring WPS Requalification for SMAW, SAW, GMAW, FCAW, and GTAW. General, Item 31) A change in groove type (e.g., single - V to double - V), except qualification of any CJP groove weld qualifies for any groove detail conforming with the requirements of 3.12 or 3.13.
32) A change in the type of groove to a square groove and vice versa.
I have got a WPS for CJP, groove weld, Norminal Plate Qualified from 3mm to unlimited, Double Weld. But when our welders weld a plate 8mm single weld with backgouge, the client complained me about this problem. He required me to do another WPS or I must prepare the weld joint like the WPS. And the same when the welders weld a plate 3mm without groove(square-groove weld). Double-V for plate 3mm thick? Nobody has ever done this before.
Was he right?
Please advise me on this problem.
Thank you very much!
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 01-28-2008 20:16
You didn't specify what code you are working too (sounds like D1.1 though).
However, if your WPS states that it's for a Double Weld and that's not what your doing then you are not following your WPS. Simple as that. You certainly may have qualified this with your PQR and your WPS could be rewritten or replaced with a different one to reflect that but, you are not following your WPS as written.

I'd think that the customer has every right to object: If you're ignoring that then what else are you ignoring? It brings your whole process into question.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2008 20:47
I agree with rickc, your WPS shoul include the details of the groove you intend to use. You can include sketches in the WPS or you can inlude a reference to the appropriate figures in D1.1 provided your welders also have access to the figures.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-28-2008 21:01
Is your 3mm plate required to have CJP?
Parent - - By viettq (*) Date 01-29-2008 02:22
I'm terribly sorry because my question is open to misunderstanding. Actually, the problem is below-mentioned:
- When you have got a WPS(SMAW) for CJP, Double groove weld, Norminal Plate Qualified from 3mm to unlimited(because test coupon was 30mm). Actually, you will use Norminal Plate Qualified from 6.5mm to unlimited only for your manufacture. Because we will use square groove weld for under 6.5mm thickness plates. Why didn't D1.1 specify Norminal Plate Qualified from 6.5mm to unlimited?
Parent - By QUOCVUONG (*) Date 01-29-2008 08:49 Edited 01-29-2008 15:56
Your client are right if your WPS didn't show the sketches including single vee groove with backgouge / backweld.
But I think that if your PQR was double weld, 30mm(type of groove is double vee) which can support for your WPS if you want to weld a plate thickness >=3 mm single vee groove with backgouge/backweld (this case is the same as double weld but you must specify a sketches/statements in the WPS).
But the second thing that you have mentioned can not be accepted because with that PQR double vee groove doesn't qualify for square groove (see item 32 table 4.5-AWS D1.1-2006).

Spam : VietaiH42, is that you?
Parent - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-29-2008 09:09
viettq

my opinion is... and only my opinion.
1) AWS D1.1 does not allow to weld Single Vee/Bevel with a qualified Double Vee/Bevel WPS no matter back gouging is used or not. it only allows to weld with addition of back gouging or backing (Table 4.5 Item 34) with the same bevel preparation (Single side or double side). So, in your case, WPS requires requalification.
2) Square groove for thin metal sheet is required separate qualification as per Table 4.5 item 32). whether u can use single side bevel or double side bevel on 3mm plate or not it really doesn't matter.

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / About Groove Type for CJP