Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Can someone clear this up for me. Macroetch test D1.1(2006)
- - By Kix (****) Date 01-28-2008 19:18
4.11.2 It says that one max single pass fillet and one-min size multi-pass fillet is to be made on the test piece.  This procedure is for an automatic GMAW (metalcore 1/16" wire) process in the 1F position.  The only time this is used in production is to make 4 3/8" fillet welds on an outrigger.  So I'm not getting the whole min fillet weld size thing.  I understand that I need to make a 3/8" single-pass fillet on one side of the test, but do I really need to make a min (whatever that is) multi-pass weld on the other side with this set up?
    One more question.  On my groove weld test plates I sent in to get PQR's from I used .052 wire.  4.11.3 consumable verification tests it doesn't say anything about wire size.  So does that mean since I'm still using the same tensile wire, but in 1/16" that my PQR's from my other tests will hold up for this fillet weld test on the same material?  The reason I need established PQR's for this fillet test is it's with A514 steel welded with an E90C-d2 wire.

Thanks, Ray C.
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 01-28-2008 19:28
I don't read it that way. It says one test is to be made to qualify single pass and one test is to be made to qualify multi-pass. Then it says they may be combined in one test plate.

If all I am going to weld is single pass, then I weld a single pass on each side of the T-plate. This just means that this procedure is not valid for multipass welding, or put another way is limited to single pass.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-28-2008 20:41
Do I really need to put 2 single-pass fillets on each side or can I just do one?
Parent - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-29-2008 09:23
Kix,

single pass fillet weld is always limited on the maximum fillet weld size. that means if u qualified single pass fillet weld with 10mm leg size, u cannot weld more than 10mm with single pass. multipass fillet weld is always limited on the minimum fillet weld size. that means if u qualified multipass fillet weld with 10mm leg size, u cannot weld less than 10mm with multipass.

so if u intended to weld single pass during production, u are safe as long as u qualified single pass, welded on one side is enough. but make sure u don't do multipass fillet weld.
normally we qualify single pass fillet and multipass fillet using a same test coupon since u are going to cut and to "Macro" them. in stead of macro only single pass fillet weld, why don't u include also multipass. 1 shot give u 2 birds.

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 01-29-2008 16:16
I would say no. One should be fine.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-29-2008 17:54
Thanks guys!!  Here's what i'll do and you guys tell me what you think.  I'll do my automatic single pass fillet on one side and i'll do a semi automatic multi-pass on the other.  So say we do 1/4" to 3/8" fillets in production does that mean I can do a 1/4" multi-pass fillet and it will be good for 3/8" as well?  You said if it's a 10mm multi-pass fillet I can't weld under that in production, but am I legal to weld over that in production?
Parent - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-30-2008 00:51
yes, if u do a 1/4" fillet weld in "Multipass" during qualification... u can do 1/4"(minimum) as well as 3/8" and un to Unlimited (Maximum) fillet weld size during production weld by using "Multipass" only.

Best regards,
Noel
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Can someone clear this up for me. Macroetch test D1.1(2006)