Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plate cert apply?
- - By smokey36 Date 01-29-2008 23:07
I've been going 'round n 'round with an engineer over this issue. I am certified in 2g to a specific wire, gas, material, etc. on 3/8 plate but am welding on 3/8 wall 7" square tube in a t joint. (tube to tube) If i understand D1.1, my cert is invalid to the job. Who's right?
Parent - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-30-2008 00:43
yeah, i think u are right. it does not validate u to the job.

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-30-2008 01:38
You should be fine if the specified welds are fillet welds or if the groove welds are made with backing. The T, Y, and K performance test is for those cases where a CJP groove weld is specified without backing and is welded from one side.

Al
Parent - By Noel Tan (**) Date 01-30-2008 02:29
agreed with Al, but the position of welding is very difficult to follow as u can only weld in flat and horizontal position.
if the box tube structure is those large frame type, practically is almost impossible.

Best Regards,
Noel Tan
Parent - By smokey36 Date 01-30-2008 11:20 Edited 01-30-2008 11:26
No backing. Fit up is marginal depending on radius of tube and how well the laser operator cut the tube (saddle on). No call out for complete or partial joint penetration. We have no wps to follow. My concern is that the welder we have on 2nd shift is not a poor welder with a high rework rate and the product we are welding on is for roll over protection for mining equipment capable of hauling in excess of 300 ton.
All groove welds-flat
All fillet-flat/horizonal
I have welded this job for 6 years, doing full samples to macro-etch on my own but not required by our Q.C. dept.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plate cert apply?