Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / want to start rig welding need help
- - By ARW (*) Date 01-30-2008 03:09
[deleted]
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 01-30-2008 03:51
ARW,

A lot of it is getting to know the right people, getting your name in front of them and, of course delivering quality work at a fair price.

If you don't have a lot of field expeirience I would recomend going to work for another compay as a single hand first and spend some time in someone elses truck. If you like it, great! Now you know and have learned a little more about the business. If you find that you much prefer working with a roof over your head then you have saved a pile of money by not running out and buying thousand of dollars worth of tools and equipment.

If you do go all-out independent hire a good accountant and stay on top of your financial situation. I've seen top-notch welders lose thier shorts because they did not have clue one about basic money managment.

Also, I highly recomend saving money; 10% at least. Put it away in a good IRA and then when you retire you can die somewhere warm.

Whatever you decide, good luck and God bless.

GH Weidman
Parent - - By ARW (*) Date 01-30-2008 04:46
[deleted]
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 01-30-2008 18:07
it is a good idea to run a companies rig because you can get an idea of how to set up your own truck as well as how to work off it
Parent - - By ARW (*) Date 01-31-2008 02:06
[deleted]
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 01-31-2008 03:21
Hi you doing "welders"?, i'm welder with +/- 15 years of exp. on pipe, structure, light-gage, and reinforcing steel (rebar), with stick and wire. i'm trying to go on my own as a rig welder anybody now were to gat a rig welding jobs on Los Angeles, CA. or surroundings ares? I,m working as a single hand on a good mama & papa company and I thing I'm ready and fully gear and ready to work.
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 02-01-2008 02:35
Sorry, I don't know anything about L.A. or California in general so I can't be much help on that score. In general, I've always found that your local welding vendors can be a great source of informantion. Go visit your local supplier, tell them what you are trying to do and they may point you in the right direction.

ARW. Where are you located? I talked to a company today here in Colorado that wanted to hire welders with thier own trucks. $38/hr for the welder, $18/hr on the truck. They supply rod and bottles.
Parent - - By ARW (*) Date 02-01-2008 03:47
[deleted]
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 02-03-2008 01:13
Pipe.
Parent - - By TriMetal Date 02-05-2008 02:45
Would you share info on that CO company? I'm ready to head back out on the road after a holiday break and would prefer something closer to home.
Thanks!
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 02-07-2008 00:56
Leed Fab (303) 659-6801.
Parent - By TriMetal Date 02-13-2008 19:10
Thanks for the 'Leed'. Left msg w/ HR & Field Svcs Mgr. & sent a resume. Nothing yet. Hoped they needed a rig welder w/25+ years. Didn't want another cold winter in WY on pipe and refinery work & wanted to be closer to home (ColoSpgs). Guess I'm headed to TX.
Parent - By cdrawls (*) Date 04-01-2008 15:49
Do you know if they pay per diem for out of town rig welders?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / want to start rig welding need help