Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Whats texas and florida like for jobs?
- - By PrairieDawg (*) Date 01-30-2008 19:15
Just looking at homes for the hell of it and in areas like San Antonio and Tampa houses are ridiculously cheap as compared to western Canada right now. Even if I did go through the hassle of getting my US ticket is there work? Like just in a shop to start? Are my pressure tickets transferable there by some small chance?
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 01-30-2008 20:17
Florida has about 4.5% unemployment right now.  There is some work for shipyard and structural steel welders.
I guess welders top out around $17 per hour, but I have heard of shipyard welders getting up to $23 per hour.  Most welders start out around $12 an hour though, and I have seen people advertise for structural steel flux core welders at only $8 per hour.  I don't know about Tampa.  You should do a Monster.com or Careerbuilder.com job search for Tampa or look online for the Tampa newspaper and do a job search there.  You can also try the Florida state employment service at:
www.unemploymentoffice.net/State_resources/Florida.htm  They have a pretty big database that will give you welding jobs statewide along with the offerd pay grades.  Yes, housing is still pretty affordable here.  Food is pretty low cost too and in the winter, my utilitiy bill is only around $38 a month.  It runs around $100 in the summer with the AC going.  You had better like hot summers.  It gets up to 98 degrees F and is often quite humid.  We have an air condidtioned shop so everyone is quite spoiled here.
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 01-30-2008 20:33
Right now the housing market is horrible.  Prices are on the decline...except for in my town.  Go figure!!
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 01-30-2008 20:55
What kind of work do you do?  There is about to be quite a few jobs in the Beaumont/ Port Arthur, Texas area for skilled tradesmen.  Big job at the Motiva plant.  The weather down here may be an eye opening experience for you, though.   85 degree nights with 100+ degree days about 7 months of the year could be rough on a canuck. 
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 01-31-2008 01:32
i've been in tampa for the last 3 yrs.  pipe welders are getting $18-25/hr, depending on what processes you can certify in.  a lot of work is slow here.  lots of welders looking for work, but not finding it.  it'll probably pick back up in a few months, depending on how badly the banks wanna hold onto their money. 

tampa is growing though.  there are a few new hospitals under construction, Donald Trump is back in business with his towers in downtown, and there are a couple high rises going up in St. Petersburg. 

if you wanted, you could also look into Orlando.  there is ALWAYS something being built there because of Disneyworld. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Whats texas and florida like for jobs?