Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 Qualification
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 01-30-2008 21:27
I have a question I hope some of you can shed some light on for me. AWS D1.1 code 4.8.2 states "Before preparing mechanical test specimens, the qualification test plate, pipe or tubing shall be nondestructively tested for soundness by either RT or UT. Am I to read this allany guided bend tests must first be RT or UT before bending? I've never heard of any company or testing agency doing this. Any info much appreciated.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 01-30-2008 21:30
the section that you referenced is for wps qualification. is that what you are trying to do?
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 01-31-2008 12:53
Well I was referring to Performance tests and I see now my mistake. But even with the procedures that our company has had written and tested in the past we have never had the test pieces UT or RT. Only tensile and guided bend. Are we doing this incorrectly?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-31-2008 14:35
typically that is what is required. table 4.11 in d.1(06) lists the required testing for welder qualification.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-31-2008 19:44
where does it say tensiles are needed for performance quals? Also RT can be performed instead of bend tests on performance qualifications
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-05-2008 21:24 Edited 02-05-2008 21:29
I think we're supposed to be helping him with procedure qualification because he said his company has never done NDT on their procedure coupons.  Table 4.2 p.136 (D1.1 2006) tells you that you need tensiles for WPS qualification and all the other goodies you will need to have done. 
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-05-2008 21:41
After making my post several days ago i realized he was saying tensiles and bends for his procedures, and not performance. my mistake!
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-04-2008 23:30
For WPS procedure qualifications, (PQR) Yes. NDT is required before destructive tests. See 4.4 for the list and code locations for test requirements. (Also do CVNs now, you may need a record of this in the future.)
For Weldor Qualification (WQTR) No. But you can Radiograph without bends, except when using GMAW short circuit. See 4.19.1.1 -- I have also seen one performance test done, then x-ray, one read to ASME IX and one to AWS D1.1, (double the money) and you must follow procedures that match both codes minimum requirements during the performance of the test.
With that said most job shops preform tests that are sent out to the lab and don't bother to note 4.8.1.1 (5) anyway. (The Root Pass Shall Be Inspected) I will not sign documents for tests I did not witness, which is common when a lab takes shop supplied test plates and bends them.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 02-05-2008 17:01
OK.  Let me go one step farther. Does anyone know if RT or UT is required prior to tensile for WPS qualification when testing to ASME IX ?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-05-2008 19:58
In general, the answer is no if you are qualifying per ASME Section IX, but it can save you time and money to UT the sample before preparing the samples only to find out there was slag, incomplete fusion, or incomplete joint penetration to begin with.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 02-06-2008 19:01
Thank You for your input
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 Qualification