Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / structural steel 7018
- - By BigRob40 (*) Date 01-31-2008 17:20
need some help.I just blow a welding test! Ive never welded vertical up with a 1/4 7018. Always with a 1/8 7018. Any ideas on not losing control of puddle. I was doing pretty good, man I ain't been that nervous in years. About half way up a 18inch I-beam vertical up corner,I lost control of the puddle you know what happened! needless to say I didnt get the job.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-31-2008 17:24
Holy Smokes they expected you to run a 1/4" rod vert/up? What did the WPS that they gave you have for parameters to use?
Parent - - By BigRob40 (*) Date 01-31-2008 17:31
I dont know I was taking a welding test for a job with a structural steel company. Like I said I was doing good, the weld looked just like any other 1/8 7018 all of a sudden the puddle just got to large to control and ran. I'm still new, Ive only been welding professionally for 3 yrs.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-31-2008 17:56 Edited 01-31-2008 18:03
Do you remember what amperage you used for that size rod? We had some 1/4" E7018 here but I just scrapped it before our AISC audit. The lincoln rep gave me a sample of them to try when they quit making the larger size E7028s.
We have run 5/32" E7018 here in our shop uphill, but not the 1/4".

edit: BTW, that shop should have provided you with a WPS(welding procedure) before you attemped a test. The WPS will have any special instructions detailed out and what amperage you have to set the machine at to weld that joint.

I give all of our applicants a WPS and plenty of scrap to get set up on, or practice, then lay down all the ground rules and what all I will be looking for. I advise them to leave the grinder on the bench and if they get in trouble and need to use it, to come get me and we'll discuss whether to grind or start over. I usually watch them place the root and a few hot passes then get out of their way and let them weld it out, maybe check in every now and again to see how it's going and about when to expect them to start capping it off.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 01-31-2008 17:59
Holy crow, you'd have to hold about a 2" wide weave to keep that from melting through.  I'd be interested to know if that's the size they're using in production.
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 01-31-2008 22:32
Just give them a rusty old file LOL
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-02-2008 00:46
I wonder if he wasn't actually using 5/32
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 01-31-2008 22:30
they're out of their mind!  if you need to run a bead so fast that you need 1/4" 7018 then why not use self-shielded wire?  at least then you'd be able to find more welders who could pass the test and you could get more work done in the end! 
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-01-2008 02:47
They are not using a prequalified welding procedure as per AWS D1.1. If they are welding vertical joints with 1/4 inch diameter low hydrogen electrodes, they would have to qualify their procedure in that position with that diameter electrode. They would have had to record the welding parameters on the procedure qualification record (not so with ASME Section IX), which you should be able to replicate. They should also provide you with a WPS, that list the appropriate ranges for the welding parameters, to follow if they are testing you to AWS D1.1.

The flip side of the coin is that they:
     1) didn't like way you combed your hair.
     2) didn't like the fact that you had more hair than the foreman.
     3) didn't like the fact that you had no hair.
     4) didn't like your tattoos.
     5) didn't like the open toed sandals you were wearing.
     6) were in general angry at the world and simply didn't want you to pass the test.

Better luck at a shop that knows what they are doing.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 02-01-2008 03:56
Wow first time Ive heard of that. You dont have any enemies over there you know of do you? Sounds like someone just didnt want you to pass or was just jerkin your chain for a cheap thrill. This was on an 18 inch I-beam with no stringer????? That just stupid. Plus thats not prequalified anyway per D1.1.  Sorry you had to experience that one buddy. I wouldnt worry about that one man. You may not want to work for someone like that anyway yah know.
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 02-01-2008 08:53
do you check w/ HR office? if all the welders to be tested has to made the same type of test? because it looks like, the haed welder do not like you, but try it again, w/ another company ofcours.
Parent - - By BigRob40 (*) Date 02-01-2008 15:32
this was a mid size ironworkers shop, on L.I..Like I was saying I was doing pretty good, with some practice I definitely could have dunnit. Sometimes If nobody tells you that's not possible to do,you maybe able to do it . Just like when you were in welding school . My instructor use to do that crap all the time. Like he never told me until after I did it for instance He told me to do this vertical up Brazing joint it took me about a weeks to get it right. Then he said " by the book you can't do that but your able to right" and Iwas able to!
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-01-2008 19:28
So your instructor spent a week of your tuition teaching you to do something that wasn't supposed to be done?
Parent - - By BigRob40 (*) Date 02-01-2008 19:42
Didnt cost me any thing new york state D.O.C.S. paid for it , they say Im now reformed!!!!!LOL!
Parent - By JA (**) Date 02-13-2008 13:10
i thought 3/16" is max for vertical ..........?????
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / structural steel 7018