Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oilgauge on sa 200
- - By elliott (**) Date 01-31-2008 20:31
hows it going everyone.I bought an sa 200 couple amonths ago and finally have been able to use it a bit and was just wondering what the oil pessure gauge should read mine reads about 30psi is that alright,and also well looking it over real close I notice some oil(crud) built up on the back of the motor that connects to the generator its not leaking is it something I should be worried about.

thanks everyone,elliott
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 01-31-2008 22:12
30psi is right on. Nature of the beast to have oil and crud collection on the back of the housing.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-01-2008 00:31
K is 30psi at idle?
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-01-2008 13:43
30 is standard on either a rebuilt engine or one that has been taken care of. It will vary. I have had machines in here that ran good, sounded good, alittle blue in the exhaust and ran 18-22psi
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-02-2008 00:26
thanks first thing this spring I'm dropping the pan to take a peek
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-02-2008 03:42
Smokey Unic used to say He was happy with 10 psi for every thousand RPMs. If You don't have any bearing knock I don't think You should get too upset.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-02-2008 03:52
well I do have a knock that concerns me and I'm wondering if it is a rod bearing on number 3 piston I was welding with it oneday and happend to go look at the oil pressure and as it was running above idle it seems like it had about 10 psi it was at.. I killed the motor waited about 20 minutes cranked it back up and it was fluctuating at around 15psi.. it sounds like a knock and the other sound kinda sounds like marbles rumbling around in the pan. I did remove one spark plug wire at a time while it was running to see if there is a different sound well when I pulled off number 3 spark plug wire there is a different sound in that area.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-02-2008 04:17
marbles in the oil pan? sounds like a thrown rod to me i'd drop the pan asap cold or not it dont take that long sounds like you got ripped off man that sucks
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-02-2008 04:24
well I don't know shad.. I really don't know till I drop the pan I mean it's hard to tell kinda sounds like marbles but really what I hear is more a knock hell if I could video tape this thing running so I could play it on hear for you guys to hear it, I would, which actually I may see if my camcorder will do it. No I've welded with it ran the 3/16 rods and when the engines is reved up you don't hear a knock noise getting any louder or anything. This is all speculation I will know more when I drop the pan.

Chris
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-02-2008 04:45
hell if i know buddy sounds like my 54 and u know the story behind that the sound on mine is even in the same place but it does it ay low and high idle as yuou know i got tired of jackin with it and took it apart so hmmmmmmmmm let me know what you find out maybe it'll help me and i'll put it back together lol like i dont have enuff machines to work on already by the way that redface i got today is a jam up machine whenever ur ready to race let me know title for title ok lol
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-02-2008 05:15
You could try to run it on a really thick mixture of STP & 20-50, but that won't cut it in winter. I agree You have a problem to look into.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-02-2008 17:01
Shad I'll race ya anytime even if it blows my engine up LOL whats the worse thing that could happen I have to rebuild it? LOL I knew buying this thing used I was buying someone elses problems it's all good dude and if the engine needs to be rebuilt thats cool, it's a good excuse to rip down the generator and clean it up a bit.

Dave I was thinking about that trying to run a thicker oil and see what happens.. I knew someone at one time who had a old toyota with a 4cylinder in it I remember the thing haveing a really bad knock to it and this person was told to replace the main bearing caps. I could not believe it this thing ran like it was brand spanking new by just replacing the main bearing or maybe they did the rod bearing to but it was crazy how well it ran afterwards so who knows maybe I'll get under there and check the main caps and who knows if it isn't to much to replace them I'll give that a try and if that doesn't do it then maybe I'll have to see about getting it rebuilt down the road. I really don't think it's to bad right now for home projects but if I were to really have to use this for a everyday living then yes I would have it all rebuilt.
I'll let yall know what happens when it starts to warm up soon to mess with it.

Chris
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-02-2008 20:51
i run napa gold 30 in all of mine
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-03-2008 04:00
Chris, the advantage to replacing the bearing shells before something catastrophic happens is that You can just change the shells and be up and running shortly. If the top end is OK this saves You a bunch of cash & down time. Of course if the rest of the engine is pretty well worn the complete rebuild makes a lot of sense.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-03-2008 08:10
well the guy I bought it from clames that the motor was rebuilt about 40 hours ago but who knows if he is telling the truth then that engine builder may have not done something right you know? but yeah I think I will give it a try and change the bearing caps and see how that goes
Dave do you or anyone in here know where I can get new bearing caps from? Napa? I know there are standard or they could be .020 bearing caps I just gotta see what it has in there and replace it with the same. Thanks

Chris
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-03-2008 15:47
PA ross machinery in dallas has whatever you need.they specialize in those  motors,and aint to high
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-03-2008 19:22
Thanks I just looked them up sounds like they maybe a good company for parts and all Thanks

Chris
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-04-2008 04:50
Chris, Are You familliar with Plastiguage ? It is not absolutly accurate, but it will give You a pretty good idea what clearance You have. And while You have the bearing [s] open You can see if the journal [s] are smooth. If they are not smooth You need to get the crank ground, if it is rough You won't be able to keep bearings in it.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-04-2008 05:15
yes I know what plastigauge is.. it's funny I was thinking about that a few hours. I believe it is so that you can tell what thousanths of an inch cleanrance you have between the crank and the bearings for oil flow or something? I was told by my dads friend that if you take one of the halves of the bearing out and look at the back of it, it should be stamped to see what clearance bearing you need but i guess yeah you could use the plastigauge to make sure. If I find that it looks like the bearing spun I don't know what the price difference would be to just go ahead and have the crank turned or just have the whole engine redone. but won't know till I check it out. Thanks for the tip on useing the plastigauge. I've got the machine sitting on railroad ties need to get it a little higher but I think next weekend I'm gonna work on dropping the pan and taking a peek. Thanks

Chris
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-05-2008 06:20
Chris, when You use the plastiguage, if the engine is upright when You check the mains, use a jack and a block of wood to push the crank up against the block bearings [lightly] to be sure You get an acurate reading. Allso, the crank MUST NOT rotate while You are checking it. The bearing shells will be marked if they are for a reground crank. Plastiguage is the easy way to check an engine without tearing it all apart, it is cheap & easy. There are different colors for different clearance ranges, I forget what they are.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-05-2008 17:24
Thanks Dave.. yeah I'm pretty dang sure it is number 3 piston rod that is the problem but am going to check them all. Dave can you tell me how much does it cost to get a crank ground down if this was the case?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-06-2008 04:07
I don't know any current prices, I would get a recomendation from K Sellon if You are out in that area. I know who I would use here in eastern Pa. but that probably doesn't help You any. I have read & responded to Your other post with the pictures of the bearings, in this situation I would go ahead and completely rebuild the engine, as the top end is probably shot too. If You have a good local auto machine shop or rebuilder You might use them, or crate it up and ship it to whoever Kay uses.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-06-2008 04:23
Dave I'm gonna search around here I know there alot of good builders around here just finding one that has maybe rebuilt these motors before maybe hard but I'm sure any good builder can handle it. I'm gonna try and find a builder here I don't know about shipping it to Ok that maybe pretty pricey but if I have to then I have to. Thanks

Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oilgauge on sa 200