Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grinding Wheels
- - By CK Welding (**) Date 02-05-2008 00:56
Just a quick question.  I have been using charger grinding wheels and was wandering if there was a better quality wheel out there for about the same money, or is it really worth spending more for a wheel that lasts a little longer?  What types of wheels do you guys use on pipe?  All I do is pipe.  These are just for facing bevels and grinding roots.  THanks boyz!
Parent - - By Aspirate (**) Date 02-05-2008 04:45
Wheels from HF are a bArGAin! nah 
Type of wheels.. hhmm.  When finishing the bevel, started using plain sand discs w/ backing instead of expensive TIGger discs to prevent rounding out the bevel.  Anyone else do the same?  I truly hate a rounded bevel that sucks, literally.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-05-2008 05:27
My favorite wheel is a Challenger II 60 grit from Sait. They're made in Ittly (that's the Texas pronunciation). They smell funny, according to my helpers, and they don't last long, and they don't come cheap. $75 for a box of ten, I think. But they totally rule. They are not for pipe, however. For pipe, I like the Sait blue label wheels. Employers like the red label, because they last longer, but the blue label will get you done faster and easier. Shows you what employers know.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-05-2008 05:40
As a general rule there is a trade off in grinding wheels between long life and faster cutting. Harder wheels last longer but don't cut as fast. As long as You are working with plain aluminum oxide abrasives this rule applies. Zircona/aluminum oxide will cut faster at a given wheel life. The designation on grinding wheels [a typical one is "A 24 Q"] begins with a letter to designate the abrasive type. A= aluminum oxide. ZA=zircona/aluminum oxide. C=silicon carbide[use for masonry & cast iron]. The number in the middle, 24 in My example, is the grit size, lower numbers are coarser, just like in sandpaper. The final letter is the hardness of the bonding agents, controlling how fast the wheel breaks down. softer is closer to the beginning of the alphabet, they get harder as You progress through the alphabet, O being softer than R. The wheel has to break down to expose fresh sharp abrasive grains. If it doesn't break down fast enough You can push like all hell but almoast no metal comes off, the work just getts hot.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-05-2008 05:46
i usually run the charger plus but got short on funds and bought a box of dewalts for 2.20 a disc and guess i got lucky but they have lasted me about 3 months hard to believe i know but they did still have about 4 left
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 02-05-2008 12:13
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-05-2008 15:26
i've used the walter disc you need body armor foe them things
Parent - By darren (***) Date 02-05-2008 21:32
agreed you have to be wary of them but they remove metal quickly and can last quite a while if held at a high angle, they also work better that anything else on the common market in my opinion, we have used some very expensive supplier "try these" samples that were pretty good but over all the pipe fitter works good for pipe.
darren
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Grinding Wheels