Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Pipe-wrap alternative?
- - By Shooter71 (**) Date 02-05-2008 02:30
I was cutting some stainless 90's down to 45's the other day and needed a good way to mark them. Suddenly it came to me to slip a rubber o-ring on the piece and roll it down to the 45 mark. It stays pretty straight and seemed to work on straight pipe as well. I'm probably not the first to do this but I felt all smart and needed to share.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-05-2008 07:14
actually without some wrap handy thats a good idea!!!  Thx
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 02-08-2008 16:53
Wow never thought of trying that, good call.
Parent - - By jianxing zhang Date 05-20-2008 05:56
Glad it's helpful!
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 05-20-2008 14:44
Jianxing Zhang

Those shoes that you are selling are not legitimate.  Find a different forum!!
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 02-11-2008 07:05
NICE!!  No scars on the material finish when fabbing something in which this is important.  Fabbed headers of the motorsports variety for years using a very thin cut off of the header tubing used as a guide to marking and cutting after having a split the cut off portion of tubing so as to allow it to slip over the material you are marking.  Never even gave a second thought to the O-ring deal.  Perfect for fabbing stainless tube headers with pre-polished material to save tons of effort on post fab polishing.  Thanks for sharing.  
Parent - - By Shooter71 (**) Date 02-12-2008 23:20
Glad it's helpful!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-13-2008 18:02
That's neato! I've had to use a tape measure before, but that's much handier.......
Parent - - By bbwinc (**) Date 05-09-2008 02:48
I'm sure this has been done befor, today I used a piece of steel banding strap because my pipe wrap was to wide.Thats it, Hope everything is going well for you all, take care.
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 05-09-2008 03:13
Lufkin use to make these stainless tapes were pretty rugged but were like 1/2" wide very flexible work great in a pinch or having to put them at non standard angles.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-20-2008 15:23
I wonder if a rubber band would come as close as an O-ring?
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 05-20-2008 18:27
I've used those stainless steel radiator hose clamps.  The ones with the worm type screw and corresponding slots in the strap.  You can also connect a number of the clamps in series if you need large diameter.
Parent - By mechan (**) Date 05-20-2008 22:26
Eye ball, bit of luck and a good grinder :D
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-21-2008 03:48
combined with a good eye and a certain level of experiance, possibly.

Without that, no.

The rubber band will probably not have a strong enough "form retention". BTW I do not know if that is spelled right or if it is the right way to describe it.

Redneck Translation- I don't think it is thick and stiff enough.

Scary when I read it back.LOL

jrw
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-21-2008 05:01
     I think that as diameters increase, the "O" ring will allow a lot of inacuracy, as will hose clamps. Using either one to get a good measurement reference point has merrit, in My opinion. I think the rubber band offeres the least inherent acuracy, but if used as a reference point for measurement You would just put it where it should be.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-21-2008 07:30
shooter71,
The o-ring trick is brilliant! Wish you had posted that last summer when I was mitre-ing 1-1/2" and 2" stainless 90's every day for 2 months! Have to agree with DaveBoyer about the larger sizes. On bigger bores (over 6"), I prefer to use band saw blades or steel banding (the good stuff is 1090 steel and is used for damascus knives). On one particular project where we were mitreing pipe (12" up to 36") to fabricate 30's, 45's and 90's, a sheet of plywood with a "U" shaped slot cut out (like a mouse hole or dog house door) was found to be more accurate than wrap-a-rounds.
Parent - - By Shooter71 (**) Date 05-27-2008 05:41
Yep only works on the small stuff.
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 06-12-2008 23:36
   I like to use those 150' tape measures for marking miters. They're more flexible than banding strap but rigid enough to use as a wrap-around and they contour well in the heel and throat when you're laying out quarters.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Pipe-wrap alternative?