Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What type of tests or who should I see??
- - By Turbocoupe76 Date 02-05-2008 03:06
In a few months I will be taking over my fathers welding business. He welds mostly heavy equipment and aerial equipment (Verizon, Con Edison, ComCast etc.)He was certified through his Union in 1985 and maintained his certification with his union since.

I dont have this luxury as I am not a member of his union.

My question is what type of welding certifications would I need? Where do I go? I also want to get my certificates of fitness. Since I am the owner do I sponser myself??

Please, if anyone has any information or websites that would help let me know..

Thank you

Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-05-2008 16:30
Sometimes your local community tech colleges have certification programs wit CWI's on hand that can give you tests and documentation.  You'll need to tell them what code or codes your working to and what kind of things you weld on.  Pipe size and schedules, plate thickness etc etc, and they should be able to test you so you will be good across the board.  Testing facilities do the same thing.  Do a search in your area for testing facilities and call all the close tech colleges.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 02-05-2008 17:06
Where are you located?
Parent - By Turbocoupe76 Date 02-05-2008 17:13
Im located in Bay Shore, NY. Most of the work is done in the 5 bouroughs. Sometimes Nassau and Suffolk.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-05-2008 17:43
Turbo

There is a fellow who posts on this forum quite often.. His handle here is Joseph P. Kane ....   Type his name into the search function or send him a personal message...  I think he would be able to give you some very specific advice about the best steps to take.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What type of tests or who should I see??