Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / bosch magneto
- - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-05-2008 06:01
anybody ever wired a new toggle switch to a bosch mag i have tried every combonation i can think of and no matter what i have tried i can get the machins started but the switch wont kill it i have to cross the treminals with a screw driver to kill the machine also need help wiring the machine for remote i cant figure out where the local wire on the toggle comes from and if i heat the head to get the plug out for the temp gauge sending unit am i putting the head at risk the plug wont budge i'm thining of welding a nut to it to get it out
Parent - - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 02-05-2008 11:40
Hello,

I tried to get the plug out of my head also,I started the motor for about 20 minutes,Then it came right out.I used a torx bit instead of a allen head because I had messed it up with the allen head.As for the switch,mine has a morse/fairbanks mag all i did was hook the one side to the mag. and the other to ground,when you turn the swith on it grounds the mag killing the spark.I tried the torch on the head but it's only 3" away from the gas tank.......I thought I should quit while I was ahead....

Later Tom K.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-05-2008 13:00
letting it run for a while was my next try thanks Kep as for the mag i dunno i'll try it and see what happens the worst that can happen is it'll ground out or get really hot lol i have another machine with that mag but it is upgraded so i thought it migh be different i dunno more trial and error today
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-05-2008 17:40
thats a d*m good idea Tom just let the engine run a while before trying to unscrew it instead of heating with a torch because then you may risk distorting the head. I have this stuff called break free spray lubricant it has always worked really well but yeah letting it run seems like that would help it alot. Thanks for the tip.

Chris
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-05-2008 13:40
don't heat the head. You will have to drill and tap. BE CAREFUL. But do not heat.

Did you put the idler upgrade on this machine. DO you have a board? Sounds like the on/off toggle is faulty.

I will email wiring directions for your remote.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-05-2008 14:24
to late i already did but not much no upgrade cant spend that kind of money right now jobless remember unless i can find used parts and yes i will use them i have no shame jus want it up and running i'm gonna see if i can find a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and put my 1/2 ingersol rand impact on it that'll break it loose i tried copying the remote of my other rig and theres a blue wire going into the arm that i cant see where it goes it hooks to the local part of the switch  and looks to me like it goes to a shunt inside the arm housing i'm electricly illierate and i have diagrams out the wazoo and cant read them lmao
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 02-05-2008 17:35
Shad my kill switch for mine was well froze up . I bought a new kill switch from autozone (made in China what is this world coming to) and it was kinda tricky at first it still wouldn't kill the engine I had to like ground the switch back to itself to make it work and I to had to kill the engine from the post on the mag to grounding itself back onto the mag is this what you mean you can't get the new kill switch to kill the engine?
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-05-2008 20:44
yeah it starts in the off pos. on the switch and to kill it i have to touch the 2 wires together hell if i know what the hell is going on it's a bosch mag and i never messed with them all i ever delt with was fairbanks they have 1 wire from the mag and the other wire from the switch grounds to the panel quick and simple now i know why kaye dont like the bosch mags
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-05-2008 19:05
blue wire to center terminal on remote toggle.  Run a new black wire from the top terminal of the toggle to the 'swiper' of the rheostat. Bottom terminal is white wire to pigtail.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-05-2008 20:46
yeah i gotthat off my old machine but the 67 dont have a blue wire comming from the arm. housing so what color do i pick the clock is ticking and theres 1 second left which wire do i cut lol
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-05-2008 22:10
don't cut the red wire! It goes boom!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-05-2008 22:31
( sittiing here with black soot on my face and hair strait back like on a cartoon) now you tell me where were you earlier lol
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-06-2008 05:01
I knew you were going to cut the red wire just like on looney tunes!!!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-06-2008 08:04
jus like a kid had to see what was gonna happen next time i know lol i aint cut nuthing they are all painted gray and it got dark on me so have to wait til after we take ryder for check up and then pics and then maybe i'll get to scrpe some paint off the wires and see which 1 to cut if there are 2 blue wires i'm a screwed duck
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-07-2008 02:55
Do you feel like the coyote yet? The road runner is that bosch mag
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-07-2008 05:38
i got a pile of bird seed in front of a brick wall waiting behind a rock on the phone with acme placing an order for explosives
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-06-2008 19:31
You will have 2 wires coming up from the exciter windings and 2 from your shunt coils. Tug on the 2 (red/black) at your exciter brushes and mark them (so you know later) (the red goes to the top of the recept and then over to the rheostat and the black to the bottom of the recept)Then you only have 2 to pick from. (blue and brown) One (blue) will go to the swiper on the rheostat and the other (brown) will go to the bottom side of the recept along with the other.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-07-2008 02:53
I wish I knew half of what Kaye has forgotten about welding machines. Your are amazing.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-08-2008 06:33
ACME called today said explosives are on nationaal back order. i got it started again and got all the switches choke and gauges moved to the front messed with that danged switch for 3 hrs even put another new switch on it and the same thing happened off is the on poaition and on is the off position yeah i know so jus flip the switch it's an aviator style switch so the red cover would fold down and i want it up. think anybody would pick on me if i put florescent blue light inside the frame rails and some    fuzzy dice on the lead rack
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-08-2008 12:06
got some wooden side rails?
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-09-2008 02:12
nope sure dont and i fixsed that durn switch i filed off the lil tit that keeps that cover from tunring and all is well up is on and down is off when ya comming tomorow so i knwo when i need to be close i'll be around outside messing with that other machine found a hole in the exhaust on it today why ya need side rails for
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / bosch magneto