Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / '54 SA 200
- - By 1mancrew (**) Date 02-07-2008 00:49
I just picked up an old 200. Paid $1000. Seems to be in real good shape but it sat for a while so I'm going to have to clean out the gas tank, change the fuel filter and install a new battery. Anyone have any advice on anything else I should do to get this thing up and running properly. Oil and coolant look fine. The batterry has been disconnected and the machine was started with a hot lead from the truck! Don't know why anyone would do that but I hope it is not indicative of a larger problem.

Thanks for the input.

GH Weidman
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-07-2008 06:00
Hot lead from the truck - 1 less charging system & battery to maintain.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 02-07-2008 06:19
change the oil flush the rad. change spark plugs and prolly needs new wires kit the carb and go at it if it runs and welds you stole it for 1,000 if it was neing charged from the truck battery might need a new alternator if it's original it'll have a generator and i would cahnge that over to alternator not hard but not a quick fix either
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-07-2008 13:10
I believe you should use only copper spark plugs wires not the new kind. Your magneto won't be happy.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 02-07-2008 20:23
Just firing off, I'd remove the metal cover on the generator housing (where your main brushes are) and remove the rats nest. Other that what you have already done, you should be ok. If she fires, she'll run. Once you get it running then you can update old weathered parts.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / '54 SA 200