Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Variable Polarity 625 SAW Flux
- - By defaced (**) Date 02-07-2008 14:59
Is anyone out there running VP SAW 625?  My company is looking at choosing a flux and I'm interested to see what others in industry are doing.  This will be for cladding operations with the Lincoln Power Wave AC/DC 1000 machine. 
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-07-2008 19:42 Edited 02-07-2008 19:48
I'd check with Specialty Alloys (this is not an advocacy-there are others). As you probably know you're going to wanna emphasize arc stabilizers especially in an environment of cladding (though to my usage cladding is sort of a misnomer in that the welding operation is generally called overlay-though strip cladding, a welding operation is common terminology) where you wanna miminize dilution either by low currents, fast travel speed, or playing with the Power Waves avaialble balances.
Companies like Specialty Alloys have been selling fluxes for overlays since the Himalayas were a barren plain.
Checked some notes, been awhile. NT-100 is the one recommended for Alloy 625 overlays. Make sure though they understand you are messin with the Power Wave and how you plan to manipulate the arc.
Parent - - By defaced (**) Date 02-07-2008 20:58
The plan is for this to be VP wire SAW with oscillation.  We're going to start with 0.062" wire and see what happens; 0.062" because it's readily available to us.  SAW and ESW strip is out of the question because of heat input limitations. 

The X factor is the variable polarity.  I've talked with Special Metals and was told to try the NT-100, but they didn't know how it would perform with VP.  Lincoln has tossed out that we should try the Blue Max 2000 because that's proven with VP, so that's on the list of things to try. 

When you say Specialty Alloys are you meaning Special Metals?  I ask because I can't find a company named Specialty Alloys that sells fluxes. 
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-07-2008 21:37
Yes. The old Inco guys. I still think Inco and haven't gotten used to the new name. Though I suppose it ain't new anymore. Just giving away my age. I'll tell ya another source. Try Roger and Bill over at Euroweld in Mooresville NC. Give them a call they have some terrific Bavaria Schweisstechnik fluxes that may be just the thing. The problem your facing is of course is you have alloy fluxes (such as Inco 7 or Blue Max 2000),and overlay fluxes (such as NT-100 or 802), and maybe even some AC fluxes, but not too many well know combo fluxes.
Parent - - By defaced (**) Date 02-08-2008 18:28
Bill is the man.  He was my senior project adviser when I was at OSU.  He was at the top of my list of people to call about this, and he said to try the Blue Max 2000. 

Thanks for your help.  I'll do what I can to post back on what we find out, but it'll be a few months I think. 
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-11-2008 14:29
Keep us informed.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Variable Polarity 625 SAW Flux