Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / exc. reducers
- - By thewelder (***) Date 02-09-2008 07:02
need help, can you help me to fount the center-line of exc. reducers. thank you.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-09-2008 15:02
Fax me the drawing and hopefully I'll be able to found the centerline of the excentric reducer.

International access - 11-3362-3463

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 02-10-2008 01:44 Edited 02-10-2008 03:03
thank you for your help butt i thing a made the wrong ? what i try to get is the method tofind center line of the exc. reducer? or how to align the excentric reducer to the pipe? thank you very much. I attach a droing of the reducer and the pipe.
Parent - - By Aspirate (**) Date 02-10-2008 03:41 Edited 02-10-2008 03:45
Well, i don't think you meant the centerline offset of the eccentric reducer , in terms of the elevation. That formula is easy.  It's 1/2 the difference of the two outside diameters (be sure to use NPS).  Based on your drawing, the offset between both centerlines would be 2-1/16" (2.0625").  In other words:  The 8" side is 2-1/16" lower than the 12" side in your drawing.
This reducer is listed as having an 8" length? (correct me if im wrong.)  So, if you needed a vertical centerline along the flat part of the reducer, it would be half of 8", =4".
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 02-10-2008 06:10
Thank you for your reply, your info is correct butt wath i mean is the center line on the "flat part of the fitting" for exemple: "I have a 12" pipe w the 90 deg. ELL "lucking up on n. end and I NEED A 12" X 8" exentric reducer on the so. end w/the flat part on the batton" I need to know the center line on the flat part of the ffiting. how you can do lay-out on the reducer "on the field".
Attachment: weldingrigpics007.jpg (204k)
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-11-2008 19:25
Jaime,
an excentric reducer has two centerlines: one is the centerline of the larger diameter and the other is the centerline of the smaller diameter. Those centerlines are paralell and so they never encounter each other.
You have to align and weld the larger pipe to the larger diameter regardless of the smaller, and then align and weld the smaller pipe to the smaller diameter regardless of the larger.
I've done that countless times back in my days of erector engineer and I see no difficulty in doing it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 02-11-2008 20:09
HI, and thank you for your reply butt I don't have any problem with the alignment may problem is "I need to install the exec. reducer w/ the flat part on the bottom of the pipe
Attachment: weldingrigpics009.jpg (107k)
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 02-11-2008 20:05
I am not sure if I understand your question.  But if you are asking how to line up the eccentric reducer with the pipe you would layout the reducer and mark it into quarters with soapstone.  THen do the same with the pipe and line your marks up.  Check with a straight edge on the bottom (flat side).  Use a big square to line your gaps up after the first tack. You could even tack a piece of pipe to the small side and measure with a straight edge on the bottoms and sides to ensure accuracy.
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 02-11-2008 20:37
thank you for your reply I just post a pic for you to see wath I mean. thank you.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-11-2008 23:03
If I've understood correctly your sketch (or pic), you have to install the excentric reducer with two offsets in its centerlines.
The first is in relation to the horizontal centerline, which is OK (take into account that the pic is rotated 90°). 
The second is in relation to the vertical centerline. I agree that it's an unusual manner to install an excentric reducer, but if the drawings call for that type of installation, then go ahead. However, if you have some doubts, talk to the engineer (person or company) who is in charge of the job. If YOU are the engineer, then talk with your bosses. It's easy for me to say "cut the weld and reweld the piece in the correct position", but I can't say that not knowing what the drawings show and whether there's a special reason to justify such installation.
Giovanni S. Crisi     
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 02-12-2008 02:43
HI, do you check the other sketch? wath I try to do is, how to faind the center line on the flat part of the reducer?, went I do the prefab on the shop. no on the field because on the field, I can put fitting by fitting w/ no problem but on the shop the all assambly is upside down or side ways. thas way I need to faind a method to faind the center line on the flat part.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-12-2008 03:01
In the field, easiest method I've found is to tack up the ecc. red. ( two small tacks are sufficient) to a long piece of 8" (or the smaller size pipe, whatever). Fit it up "perfectly" with zero Hi-Lo, square and true to the run. Set this low on a pair of roller head (if available) jacks or horses with the flat on bottom. Now take two more jack stands pull the heads and extend the sleeves out and place on either side of the large end of ecc. red., rock it back an forth till it looks good. This is usually enough visual reference to "eyeball it in and then center punch TDC. For more accuracy, table top method works the best (flat concrete slab, etc.)....  Draw a long line then lay out your 8" & 12" eccentric circles ( O.D. 8 5/8" and 12 3/4" ) on that center line. On the 12" circle, lay out 90 degrees and extend out past the circle. Center the fitting with small side down as close as possible to the layout. Take a combination square and slide the blade out until the blade end will set flat on the table ( I just thought about it and a large triangle rafter/framers square would work just as well) and set it on the 90 lines until the top end of the blade touches the fitting, see  how far off the 12" circle it is and adjust accordingly. After it's fine tuned in, then you have the zero and 180 marks to transfer onto the small end. Make sure though that the small end stays true on the circle and this will be as close as the real world of pipe fighting needs to get. Hope this makes sense?????????????????????
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 02-12-2008 05:03 Edited 02-12-2008 05:18
SUPERFLUX THANK YOU  VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, THE FIELD METHOD IS THE ONE I USED ALL THE TIME BUT MAY BOSS GOT A NEW JOB AND THE COMPANY WE ARE WORKING FOR WANTS EVERY THING TO BE CHECK BEFORE INSTALLATION THAT'S WAY I NEED TO LOOK FOR A "TABLE TOP METHOD". THANK YOU AGAIN.
Parent - - By thewelder (***) Date 02-12-2008 05:20
THANK YOU ALL WELDER FOR YOUR HELP.
Parent - - By Aspirate (**) Date 02-13-2008 19:19
I like superflux's method too.  You can also "hang" the eccentric fitting on something like a welding rod (use gravity) to find that centerline quick.  The large portion of the fitting (the 12" section) should hang down.  And for marking the centerline, you would mark the top where the fitting is hanging on the rod.  That would be my getterdone method ..then again I hate the overuse of that word which started down in Orlando, FL from a radio station.
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 02-16-2008 02:47
THANK YOU aspirate i'll try your method to when need it.
Parent - - By Bocephus Date 07-04-2018 15:32
Aspirate, how did you get 2-1/16”?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-05-2018 18:29
You are asking a question on a 10 year old thread and many of the original posters are no longer around....literally.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / exc. reducers