Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Seam contact with Structure Beam
- - By Learning Date 02-12-2008 07:04
API 5L pipes are welded together on pipe rack. A but joint weld is resting on the structure beam. The pipe is of 20" Diameter for Fuel gas service. Technically is it some thing that should be avoided at any cost. Does it affect on the integrity of the weld joint. The Inspecors says, if there is Leakage, how it will be detected. Is it really a concern from technical point of view. Please advise. Thanks,
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-12-2008 13:05
There could be the potential for galvanic corrosion especially if the two metals have different noble #'s There's probably more but, I'm too tired to go any further besides we got some snow where I live and I'm goig to hibernate for a spell!!! Grrrgghhh!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-12-2008 20:01
If I were the inspector, I wouldn't accept a butt weld resting on the pipe rack beam. 
As it is impossible to change the position of the pipe rack, I would require you to cut a piece of pipe and locate the welds in another position
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Seam contact with Structure Beam